Syncing both ways, how to stop?

Adam Rhoades

Aug 13, 2014, 7:07:58 PM8/13/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
Good evening all,

I'm successfully using Larch on a Digital Ocean cloud server to sync two gmail accounts, the purpose being for backup.

I would like the data to flow one way, from 'acco...@gmail.com' >> 'acco...@gmail.com.

My Yaml file looks like this:
# Personal email backup
personal:
  from: imaps://imap.gmail.com
  from-user: acco...@gmail.com
  from-pass: **********
  to: imaps://imap.gmail.com
  to-user: acco...@gmail.com
  to-pass: ********

This somehow causes data to sync both ways with newly received emails in account2 appearing in account1.

How can I stop this please?

Many thanks

Adam

Ryan Grove

Aug 13, 2014, 7:31:21 PM8/13/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Adam Rhoades <ad...@adamrhoades.com> wrote:
This somehow causes data to sync both ways with newly received emails in account2 appearing in account1.

How can I stop this please?

Larch is only capable of copying in one direction at a time, so something else must be at work here. The configuration you posted won't modify account1 in any way.

Are you sure you didn't configure Gmail to forward messages from account2 to account1 at some point?

- Ryan

Adam Rhoades

Aug 14, 2014, 12:59:06 PM8/14/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan,

Your right, I had configured that previously, but had disabled it before running larch. I've removed the forwarding address completely and will see how it behaves.

Many thanks

Adam

Adam Rhoades

Aug 14, 2014, 1:18:48 PM8/14/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
That seems to have done it, so bizarre that it would keep forwarding emails when disabled.

I'm curious, is it possible to have Larch only copy new emails and to ignore emails that have been deleted since the last sync?

Im eager for my backup account2 to contain every message i've received, even if some get deleted from account1.

Many thanks

Adam

brad hemze

Aug 14, 2014, 1:29:37 PM8/14/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

That is the default behavior. Larch doesn’t ‘sync’ per se.

Larch is a tool to copy messages from one IMAP server to another quickly and safely. It's smart enough not to copy messages that already exist on the destination and robust enough to deal with interruptions caused by flaky connections or misbehaving servers.

I use Larch to keep an historical archive of my users’ email -- even the deleted messages. Invariable in the future some need will arise that requires access to an old message accidentally deleted unawares.

—brad

Adam Rhoades

Aug 14, 2014, 1:43:18 PM8/14/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
I see now, on closer inspection deleted emails on account1 are moved/labelled as [gmail]-bin.

Thanks again!

Great tool

Adam