update on the summer film series

scribe

Jun 10, 2009, 6:41:44 PM6/10/09
to laramie film society discussions
After many messages back and forth, Nancy and I have finally come up
with a final (until it gets revised) schedule for the Not Shown Before
at the Theater Near You Film Series:

Here it is:

June 7 RocknRolla
June 14 Cadillac Records
June 21 Ghost Town (supernatural comedy)
June 28 Red State Road Trip 2
July 5 MacKenna's Gold (a special Jubilee Days western)
July 12 Leave No Soldier
July 19 CSNY Deja Vu (concert film)
July 26 The Express (bio pic about Ernie Davis, the first black
Heisman Trophy winner)
Aug 2 Shine a Light (Rolling Stones concert film)
Aug 9 The Americanization of Emily (romantic comedy anti-war film)
Aug 16 Rick Steves' Iran/Fallout: Coming Home from the War in Iraq
(double feature)
Aug 23 Flash of Genius (bio pic about an inventor's patent struggle
with corporate America)
Aug 30 Arlington West
Sept 6 Blue Gold: World Water Wars

It is going to be a while before I have synopses for all these films,
but I do have one for cadillac records:

The Not Shown Before at a Theater Near You summer film series
continues with "Cadillac Records," showing at the Albany County Public
Library, Sunday, June 14 at 7:30 p.m. only, free admission and snacks.
Rated R, 109 minutes.

Cadillac Records -- This film about influential Chicago record label
Chess from the 1940s to the 1960s is strong on the music of the times.
Chess stars such as Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley and Etta
James (played by Beyoncé Knowles) are shown changing the face of soul,
blues and rock and roll history. Jeffrey Wright, who plays blues great
Muddy Watters, won a best supporting actor award from the black film
critics association. The film won several black reel awards, including
best picture and best ensemble acting. The film was also nominated for
several other awards, including Golden Globe Awards, Image Awards and
Satellite Awards. Shown in blu-ray high definition.

This series is brought to you by the library, the Laramie Film Society
and the Wyoming Peace, Justice and Earth Center. The series is made up
of recent films not previously shown in Laramie theaters, and a couple
of classic films as well.

Check out this website every week for a synopsis of the next film in
the series:

http://www.lariat.org/AtTheMovies/index.html

As soon as I get my act together, I'll have a web page for the series
at this site and at the LFS film page: http://film.laramie.wy.us

Part of the problem is that we just finalized the schedule a few days
ago, and I've got a lot of irons in the fire.

Some of the information is going to have to come from Nancy Sindelar
since she has some films on the list that are pretty obscure and I may
not be able to get the information from anywhere else.

We are currently working on installing a surround sound system for
this series. I built a shelf for ceiling-mounting the HD projector
which is now installed and working. I just put in the anchor for the
safety cable yesterday. Tomorrow I'm trying to get the library up to
speed on what they need to order. I think we also have some materials
on back order.

We had fun showing RocknRolla last Sunday. Due to a quirk in the way
the blu-ray player and high def projector work together, the subtitle
menu was obscured. Strange, that. We'll have it fixed next week now
that we know its quirk. We're running stereo audio until the surround
sound gets wired up.