upcoming movies

Robert Roten

Jul 12, 2017, 4:13:04 PM7/12/17
to laramie-film-soci...@googlegroups.com
Greetings fellow film fans:

We finally have some free movies in Laramie, including "Shane."

We're planning on showing old silent movies outdoors downtown on Friday,
July 14 from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. The three short films we're showing
are The Goat, starring Buster Keaton, Easy Street, starring Charlie
Chaplin and An Eastern Westerner, starring Harold Lloyd.

If you would like to volunteer to help show these movies during the
street dance, email me, Robert Roten (ro...@lariat.net) before Friday,
July 14.

This involves carrying projectors, film and other equipment to the site
before the film and then back to my pickup after the film. If you'd like
to learn how to run an old 16mm film projector, being a volunteer Friday
night is a good way to learn.

The projectors will be set up at the northwest corner of Second St. and
Grand Ave. (in front of Cross Country Connection). The movies (silent
Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton films) will be shown on
the side of the Music Box Building across the street.

We had done this every year from 2000 until 2016, but there were no
volunteers to help with this last summer, so it didn't happen last year.

We are also going to show the classic western "Shane" (1953) for free
at the Albany County Public Library, 8th and Grand, at 7 p.m. on Sunday,
July 16. We could use some volunteer help on that showing, too. This
event is co-sponsored by the library and the Laramie Film Society.

"Shane" is on a number of great films lists and is considered to be a
top 10 film in the Western genre by many. It was listed number 45 in
AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movies list, and ranked number three in AFI's
Western genre voting. In 1993, Shane was selected for preservation in
the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as
being “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant.”

We've shown Westerns at the library during Jubilee Days like "High
Noon," "Rio Bravo" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" since 2008.

Read about free summer film showings by the Laramie Film Society at the
LFS web page:
http://film.laramie.wy.us/

There are Planet of the Apes triple features, Rise of the Planet of the
Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes
today in both Laramie theaters. They begin at 4 p.m. at the Fox Theater
in 3D (six hours, 15 minutes total running time). Well, it is not for
everyone.

The same triple feature also plays in 2D at the STUDIO CITY UW + ARQ®
theater in Laramie, starting at 4:15 p.m. Enough monkey business.

It should come as no surprise that the third film in the current planet
of the apes trilogy, "War for the Planet of the Apes" opens this week at
both Laramie theaters.

Playing at the Regal Fox Theater 6, 505 S. 20th (with critic's ratings
of movies playing):

Baby Driver -- B+
Despicable Me 3 -- C+
The Hero -- C+
Ninnu Kori
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B

Opening on Thursday, July 13 at the Fox:

The Beguiled (2017) -- B
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B

Leaving Friday (last show Thursday, July 13):

The Hero -- C+
Ninnu Kori

Theater web page:
https://www.regmovies.com/theaters/regal-fox-theater-6/5855

Playing at the Studio City UW + ARQ®, 2433 E. Grand

47 Meters Down -- C
Cars 3 -- C+
Despicable Me 3 -- C+
The House -- C
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
Transformers: The Last Knight -- D+
Wonder Woman -- B

Opening on Thursday at Studio City on Thursday, July 13:

The Big Sick -- B
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B
Wish Upon -- C

Leaving town this week at Studio City, last show, July 13:

47 Meters Down -- C
Transformers: The Last Knight -- D+

The Studio City UW theater in Laramie is hosting a Summer Kids Movie
Series which runs through August 17. More on that here:
https://wyomovies.com/summer-kids-series-laramie/

Theater web page:
https://wyomovies.com/showtimes/laramie/

New video releases this week:

Devil's Domain -- C
The Fate of the Furious -- B
The Lost City of Z -- B
Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer -- B
A Quiet Passion -- B (biopic about Emily Dickenson)
Smurfs: The Lost Village -- C+
Spark: A Space Tail -- D
Their Finest -- B

New video releases at Red Box and Netflix this week:

The Lost City of Z -- B
Spark: A Space Tail -- D
Table 19 -- C
Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Their Finest -- B

Back yard movies

For Laramie Film Society members only, in July and August only. We will
show a movie of your choice in your back yard, or wherever you want
(certain restrictions apply) with Laramie Film Society's own equipment.
Contact Robert Roten (ro...@lariat.net) for more information on this
program.

Thanks to our sponsors, The Alibi Pub, Mizu Sushi restaurant and The
Pedal House, supporting all Laramie Film Society activities.

All I ask is this: Do something. Try something. Speaking out, showing
up, writing a letter, a check, a strongly worded e-mail. Pick a cause --
there are few unworthy ones. And nudge yourself past the brink of tacit
support to action. Once a month, once a year, or just once.
-- Joss Whedon, writer and film director (b. 1964)

Robert Roten

Jul 19, 2017, 1:51:26 AM7/19/17
to laramie-film-soci...@googlegroups.com
Greetings fellow film fans:

No free movies this week, but at least one promising new film is making
its way into Laramie on Thursday, July 20.

Christopher Nolan (the "Batman" trilogy) one of the best filmmakers
around, tackles the epic historic war movie genre with his new film,
"Dunkirk" opening at the Fox and Studio City UW theaters. This is
getting excellent reviews.

A lot less serious, but also epic is the Luc Beeson ("Lucy") science
fiction film, "Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets" also opening
at both local theaters on Thursday.

Here is what's playing in Laramie this week, with critic's ratings:

Playing at the Regal Fox Theater 6, 505 S. 20th:

Baby Driver -- B+
The Beguiled (2017) -- B
Despicable Me 3 -- C+
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, July 20 at the Regal Fox Theater 6 in Laramie:

Dunkirk -- A
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+

Ending this week
(Last show at the Fox on Thursday, July 20):

The Beguiled (2017) -- B

Playing at Studio City UW+ARQ®, 2433 E. Grand:

The Big Sick -- B
Cars 3 -- C+
Despicable Me 3
The House -- D+
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B
Wish Upon -- C
Wonder Woman -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, July 20 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

Dunkirk -- A
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+

Ending this week at the Studio City UW theater (Last show on Thursday,
July 20):

Cars 3 -- C+
The House -- D+

New on video this week

Beaches (2017 made for TV remake) -- C
Buster's Mal Heart -- C+
Feed -- C
Free Fire -- C+
Kong: Skull Island -- B
Pray for Rain -- C
The Promise -- C+
Resident Evil: Vendetta -- C
Tommy's Honour -- C
Transhuman -- C

New video releases at Red Box and Netflix:

Alienate -- D
Bad Frank -- C
Bonejangles -- C
Day of Reckoning -- C
Free Fire -- C+
Ghosts of Darkness -- C
The Lost City of Z -- B
The Promise -- C+
This Beautiful Fantastic -- C
Wilson -- C

Back yard movies

For Laramie Film Society members only, in July and August only. We will
show a movie of your choice in your back yard, or wherever you want
(certain restrictions apply) with Laramie Film Society's own equipment.
Contact Robert Roten (ro...@lariat.net) for more information on this
program.

We have some outdoor movies coming up this summer. More on that at our
web page:

http://film.laramie.wy.us/#latest news

Robert Roten

Jul 26, 2017, 7:51:58 PM7/26/17
to laramie-film-soci...@googlegroups.com
Greetings fellow film fans:

We do have a free outdoor movie on Saturday night, July 29, in the patio
of the Alibi Pub Wood Fire Pizzaria and Bakery, 404 S 4th St. We're
planning on starting the movie at dark, 9 p.m., weather permitting.

I could use some help with the setup and tear down. This involves
hauling projectors, amps, speakers, the screen, assembly and disassembly
of the metal screen framework, etc. I plan to start setting up around 6 p.m.

The Saturday movie at the Alibi will be the cult classic zombie movie
The Night of the Living Dead (1968) directed by the late George Romero.
This film kick-started the modern zombie film genre. It has been
selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the National
Film Registry as a culturally significant film.

Please note: Only those 21 and older will be admitted to this outdoor
film showing due to liquor license regulations. The Alibi is a sponsor
of the Laramie Film Society.

Here is what's playing in Laramie this week, with critic's ratings:

Playing at the Regal Fox Theater 6, 505 S. 20th:

Baby Driver -- B+
The Beguiled (2017) -- B
Despicable Me 3 -- C+
Dunkirk -- B
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Friday, July 28 at the Regal Fox Theater 6 in Laramie:

Atomic Blonde -- B
The Emoji Movie -- estimated C to D range (no previews, no reviews yet)

Ending this week
(Last show at the Fox on Thursday, July 27):

Despicable Me 3 -- C+
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B

Playing at Studio City UW+ARQ®, 2433 E. Grand:

The Big Sick -- B
Cars 3 -- C+
Despicable Me 3
The House -- D+
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B
Wish Upon -- C
Wonder Woman -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, July 27 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

Atomic Blonde -- B

Opening on Friday, July 28 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

Girls Trip -- B

Ending this week at the Studio City UW theater (Last show on Thursday,
July 27):

Wish Upon -- D+

New on video this week

Black Butterfly -- C
The Boss Baby -- C+
The Final Master -- C+
Ghost in the Shell -- B
Gifted -- C+
Unforgettable -- C

New video releases at Red Box and Netflix:

Absolutely Anything -- D+
Awaken the Shadowman -- C
The Belko Experiment -- C
Black Butterfly -- C
Correspondence -- C
Ghost in the Shell -- B
Kong: Skull Island -- B

Back yard movies

For Laramie Film Society members only, in July and August only. We will
show a movie of your choice in your back yard, or wherever you want
(certain restrictions apply) with Laramie Film Society's own equipment.
Contact Robert Roten (ro...@lariat.net) for more information on this
program.

We have three outdoor movies planned this summer, including the one on
Saturday at the Alibi. More on that at our web page:

Robert Roten

Aug 2, 2017, 4:18:17 PM8/2/17
to laramie-film-soci...@googlegroups.com
Greetings fellow film fans:

Here is what's playing in Laramie this week, with critic's ratings:

Playing at the Regal Fox Theater 6, 505 S. 20th:

Atomic Blonde -- C+
Baby Driver -- B+
Dunkirk -- B
The Emoji Movie -- D+
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, August 3 at the Regal Fox Theater 6 in Laramie:

Kidnap -- C

Playing at Studio City UW+ARQ®, 2433 E. Grand:

Atomic Blonde -- C+
The Big Sick -- B
Despicable Me 3
Dunkirk -- B
Girls Trip -- B
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B+
Wonder Woman -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, August 3 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

The Dark Tower -- C

Opening on Friday, August 4 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

Detroit -- B+

Ending this week at the Studio City UW theater (Last show on Thursday,
August 3):

The Big Sick -- B
Wonder Woman -- B

New on video this week

The Circle -- C
Colossal -- B
Don't Knock Twice -- C
The Drowning -- C+
Going In Style -- C
The Lovers -- B
The Ottoman Lieutenant -- D+
Phoenix Forgotten -- C

New video releases at Red Box and Netflix:

Boss Baby -- C+
The Circle -- C
Colossal -- B
Gifted -- C+
Going In Style -- C
The Lovers -- B
The Ottoman Lieutenant -- D+
Phoenix Forgotten -- C
Unforgettable -- C

Back yard movies

For Laramie Film Society members only, in July and August only. We will
show a movie of your choice in your back yard, or wherever you want
(certain restrictions apply) with Laramie Film Society's own equipment.
Contact Robert Roten (ro...@lariat.net) for more information on this
program.

On Saturday, July 29, we showed "The Night of the Living Dead" outdoors
at the Alibi patio. We got started late due to rain earlier in the
evening, but we had a pretty good crowd who stayed until the very end of
the film.

On Saturday, August 12, we will show two comedies at the Alibi Patio,
"The Flying Deuces" (1939) and "Utopia" (1951) both starring the comedy
duo of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

For more information on the August 12 movies see the LFS web page:

http://film.laramie.wy.us

Thanks to our sponsors, The Alibi Pub Wood Fire Pizzaria and Bakery, the

Robert Roten

Aug 9, 2017, 2:52:53 PM8/9/17
to laramie-film-soci...@googlegroups.com
Greetings fellow film fans:

There are a couple of free outdoor movies this week in the patio of The
Alibi Pub Wood Fire Pizzaria and Bakery, 404 S 4th St.

On Saturday August 12, two Laurel and Hardy films will be shown, The
Flying Deuces (1939) and Utopia (1951) the last film starring the comedy
duo. The movies start at 8:30 p.m., weather permitting. Combined run
time is about two hours.

Please note: Only those 21 and older will be admitted to this outdoor
film showing due to liquor license regulations.

The Flying Deuces was one of the last Laurel and Hardy films produced by
Hal Roach Studios. In it, Hardy, his heart broken, decides to join the
French Foreign Legion. He drags Laurel along with him to become a
Legionnaire, with disastrous results.

Utopia (original title, Atoll K) was a French-Italian co-production
plagued by many problems, including serious health problems for both
Laurel and Hardy. This marked the end of the duo's long film career. The
story has Laurel and Hardy traveling to a remote island to claim a
property inheritance.

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy both began their film careers separately
more than 100 years ago in the silent era. The two actors made 107 films
together.

Laurel and Hardy's first film together was in 1921, but it wasn't until
both men were separately signed by Hal Roach Studios that they became
one of the top comedy teams in movies. They worked 20 years with Hal
Roach, and later, for 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers studios, many
of these films were highly profitable. Stan Laurel also helped to write
many of the screenplays for their films.

In 2005, Laurel and Hardy were voted one of the 10 top comedy acts of
all time in a British poll of fellow comedians.

There are three Laurel and Hardy museums. One is in Laurel's birthplace
in England, another is in Germany, and the third is in Hardy's
birthplace in Georgia. There are over 150 chapters worldwide of the
Laurel and Hardy appreciation society, The Sons of the Desert, named
after a Laurel and Hardy film of the same name.

Here is what's playing in Laramie theaters this week, with critic's ratings:

Playing at the Regal Fox Theater 6, 505 S. 20th:

Atomic Blonde -- C+
Baby Driver -- B+
Dunkirk -- B
The Emoji Movie -- D+
Kidnap -- C
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+

Opening on Thursday, August 10 at the Regal Fox Theater 6 in Laramie:

Annabelle: Creation -- C+

Bonnie and Clyde 50th Anniversary (1967) presented by TCM shows only on
Sunday, August 13 and on Wednesday, August 16.

Leaving town this week, last show on Thursday, August 10:

Baby Driver -- B+

Playing at Studio City UW+ARQ®, 2433 E. Grand:

Atomic Blonde -- C+
The Dark Tower -- B
Despicable Me 3
Detroit -- B
Dunkirk -- B
Girls Trip -- B
Spider-Man: Homecoming -- B
Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B+
Wonder Woman -- B

Starting this week

Opening on Thursday, August 10 at the Studio City UW+ARQ® theater:

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature -- C

Ending this week at the Studio City UW theater (Last show on Thursday,
August 10):

Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets -- C+
War for the Planet of the Apes -- B+

New video releases this week

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul -- C
The Dinner -- C+
The Exception -- C
The Hunter's Prayer -- C
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword -- C
Snatched -- C
Undercover Grandpa -- D
Wolves -- C+

New video releases this week at Red Box and Netflix:

The Dinner -- C+
The Fate of the Furious -- B
The Hunter's Prayer -- C
Undercover Grandpa -- D