New Volunteers

1 view

Ken Starks

May 2, 2010, 12:23:04 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
If you are new to the Linux Against Poverty project or want to work on
a particular team, you can do so here. Make sure you include your
prime-mover email address so the team leads can contact you and
coordinate your involvement in their team.

R W

May 2, 2010, 1:01:48 PM5/2/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Ken, I'd like to help out. Where would I be more useful? I'm thinking
repair or install...

- Ron West

Ken Starks

May 2, 2010, 12:58:28 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Great minds think alike. Contact Andy Krell akrell at gmail dott
komm

helios

May 2, 2010, 1:13:28 PM5/2/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing your talents will be best utilized on the repair side of the table.  ya think?  I do. ;-)
--
A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on an ability to pay for it.

Alan Jones

May 2, 2010, 2:10:53 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'll be there and I'm up for any team. So if you feel short-handed
I've
got two.

I've been using linux for 6 years. Building PCs from components
for 17 or so, but haven't done as much of it lately. Though I'm not
supergeek on hardware (I couldn't name every tiny piece soldered
to a board).

I'm looking forward to working with you all.

Cheers,

Alan

Andy Krell

May 2, 2010, 3:14:20 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Ron,

Could definitely use your help on install.

Andy Krell

May 2, 2010, 3:17:11 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Sorry, make that REPAIR. Long weekend.

Nathan

May 2, 2010, 3:20:46 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
I'd be glad to help.

I speak fluent penguin and built my first PC in 1995... Given that
I've spent the last 8 years of my career in hardware test labs I'm
probably most useful doing hardware intake or repair.

n·a·t·h·a·n·t·a a·t g·m·a·i·l

helios

May 2, 2010, 3:26:23 PM5/2/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Nathan thanks a bunch.  I do believe Andy could use your help but we may have the most qualified people floating between Repair and Intake, depending on the work flow.  Andy and Skip (currently out of pocket in India) will be choosing their repair guys but I am guessing your expertise could be used there.

Kelly Saccomanno

May 2, 2010, 4:51:11 PM5/2/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
oh, as far as the install side...i'm interested in that as well, but does it require being able to do any repairs, or is that going to a separate group?

Andy Krell

May 2, 2010, 11:47:35 PM5/2/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Alan and Nathan,

You both sound well suited to the repair or intake teams. I don't
want to steal all of Roy's potential volunteers (intake) so I'll give
him a chance to speak up.

On May 2, 2:26 pm, helios <hel...@fixedbylinux.com> wrote:
> Nathan thanks a bunch.  I do believe Andy could use your help but we may
> have the most qualified people floating between Repair and Intake, depending
> on the work flow.  Andy and Skip (currently out of pocket in India) will be
> choosing their repair guys but I am guessing your expertise could be used
> there.

Skip Da Shu

May 3, 2010, 12:05:33 AM5/3/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Install is software only. Intake/Repair/Intake/Salvage teams are
hardware.

chupacabra

May 3, 2010, 1:18:20 AM5/3/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
I'm up for anything You tell me.

HidekiAI

May 3, 2010, 7:57:32 AM5/3/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hello All,

On that note of "software only"...

My name is Hideki "Tony" Ikeda. It was a pleasure to meet some of you
last Saturday morning, and honored to have been allowed as a
volunteer. I've always volunteered for charities and events that have
dealt with children and/or animals whenever I could.

I would like to volunteer for Install. I may be able to help out
elsewhere but I feel my most comfortable position as software since
that's all I've been doing professionally for the past 20+ years...

thanks && peace!
hideki

helios

May 3, 2010, 8:29:35 AM5/3/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Hideki.  Tom King is your guy.  Welcome to the group.  This is going to be a lot of fun.  Glad to have you as part of it.

helios

May 3, 2010, 12:16:17 PM5/3/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hey Alan I am thinking that Alex could really use a knowledgeable hand
in salvage and parts. That is a particularly demanding Team and I'd
appreciate you considering working with him.

Alan Jones

May 3, 2010, 1:32:47 PM5/3/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM, helios <heli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Alan I am thinking that Alex could really use a knowledgeable hand
> in salvage and parts.  That is a particularly demanding Team and I'd
> appreciate you considering working with him.

Consider it done.

Alex, I'm looking forward to working with you. Let me know what you'll
need of me :)

Cheers,

Alan.

Alex Thurlow

May 3, 2010, 1:47:33 PM5/3/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
On 5/3/2010 12:32 PM, Alan Jones wrote:
> Alex, I'm looking forward to working with you. Let me know what you'll
> need of me :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan.

Fantastic. The team leads will be meeting soon to discuss the whole
plan, and I'll make sure everyone has plenty of things to do.

Michael Collins

May 3, 2010, 1:49:53 PM5/3/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably best at solving install problems if anyone wants to know where I fit.
Michael H. Collins

OpenAuk.com

qchapter

May 3, 2010, 2:05:22 PM5/3/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hi Ken,

I'd be happy to help, as a Linux Admin, I have plenty of install and
hardware experience.

-Kevin Bush

qchapter [at] riseup [dot] net

Roy Hall

May 3, 2010, 6:12:37 PM5/3/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
You can take first dips on recruits, andy. I'm sure you guys will be
more overwhelmed then me.
--
Sent from my mobile device

helios

May 4, 2010, 3:38:10 PM5/4/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hey Kevin...sorry for the late reply.

I would appreciate it if you'd consider working with Alex or Roy.
I've been in contact with a couple of guys who were on the Repair Team
last year and they've RSVP'ed through me but have yet to join the
group. That way we have a bit of even manpower. Either one of those
Teams is a challenge, or so I'm thinkin'

Nathaniel Eliot

May 4, 2010, 4:16:43 PM5/4/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
On May 2, 11:23 am, Ken Starks <helio...@gmail.com> wrote:
I lack the free time to promise anything, but I would like to take
part, and have plenty of experience with building Linux computers.
Would any of your teams be well-suited for a walk-in the day of the
event?

--
Nathaniel Eliot
T9 Productions

dond...@reglue.org

May 4, 2010, 5:36:49 PM5/4/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Nathaniel has done a bit with odd hardware - he would be great for
immediate diagnosis or troubleshooting.
Just a thought.

Roy Hall

May 4, 2010, 7:50:08 PM5/4/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
I could use him for intake to help direct where computers are going.

Jonathan Arehart

May 6, 2010, 2:26:40 AM5/6/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
On May 4, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Nathaniel Eliot <temu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I lack the free time to promise anything, but I would like to take
> part, and have plenty of experience with building Linux computers.
> Would any of your teams be well-suited for a walk-in the day of the
> event?

I am in a similar spot. I don't know if I will have time before day
of, but will be there for the event.

Jonathan Arehart
clark...@gmail.com or jona...@arehart.net

sgue...@austin.rr.com

May 6, 2010, 5:35:04 AM5/6/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Arehart
Jonathan,

Many in that boat and we should have most of the "pre" stuff covered with existing leads. Any particular area of interest or qualification or just wherever needed?

Thanx, Skip

Don Davis

May 6, 2010, 7:41:12 AM5/6/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Should somebody post to the Linux lists that now is the time to speak up
if people plan to volunteer?

Jonathan Arehart

May 6, 2010, 12:32:21 PM5/6/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM,  <sgue...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Many in that boat and we should have most of the "pre" stuff covered
> with existing leads.  Any particular area of interest or qualification or
> just wherever needed?

I've done various repair and install work on x86 systems with Linux
over the years, though it sounds like you already have really good
people on the repair and install teams. I took photos last year, and
will be bringing the camera again this time, so maybe whatever is
needed day-of or as one of the runners would be the best use for me?

Jonathan Arehart
jona...@arehart.net or clark...@gmail.com

Alex Thurlow

May 6, 2010, 12:51:56 PM5/6/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com

On 5/6/2010 11:32 AM, Jonathan Arehart wrote:
> I've done various repair and install work on x86 systems with Linux
> over the years, though it sounds like you already have really good
> people on the repair and install teams. I took photos last year, and
> will be bringing the camera again this time, so maybe whatever is
> needed day-of or as one of the runners would be the best use for me?
>
> Jonathan Arehart
> jona...@arehart.net or clark...@gmail.com

I still need some solid people on the salvage team, and that will
include runners as well. If you're up for that, I'd definitely take you on.

-Alex

Andy Krell

May 6, 2010, 5:28:24 PM5/6/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Nathan,

I went ahead and added you to the hardware team listing in the Google
doc Alex created.

Andy Krell

May 6, 2010, 5:29:29 PM5/6/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Ken,

Can you add those repair RSVPs to the Google doc? I've added Skip,
Nathan, and Ron so far.

mb@1t3ra

May 8, 2010, 12:09:28 AM5/8/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Hello,

I missed the new volunteers meeting but would still like to
participate if possible. I just don't know where I would be a good
fit. I have been using linux on and off for about 10 years. I am most
familiar with Gentoo in prodcution environments and have used other
flavors in non-production environments (ubuntu,debian,red hat,centos).
Please let me know where I can help. Looking forward to meeting all of
you on June 19th. Use the url below to view my email address.

Matthew
http://scr.im/mba1t3ra

mdomsch

May 8, 2010, 9:55:15 AM5/8/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Count me in for the day of. I've worked at Dell for 16 years, some
time as a hardware designer, but mostly as the chief "Linux guy" for
all things Servers, and while I know you're using Mint, I've been on
the Fedora Project Board for 4 years. It sounds like you've got the
installer work taken care of, so put me wherever you have need.

Thanks,
Matt

Roy Hall

May 8, 2010, 4:26:24 PM5/8/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm still need people. So if you guys think you can look at
computers quickly and tell if it's just parts or a good machine. I
could use a few people for intake.

helios

May 8, 2010, 4:35:28 PM5/8/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Hey Roy...we have about half the people from the facebook volunteer page yet to sign up for the group.  We had something like this last year when people just showed up.  We'll see if we can't get more from FB coming over here to volunteer.

Lynn Bender

May 8, 2010, 4:43:30 PM5/8/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
I have other lists that are bigger better than facebook for getting unix folks.
I'll try to send a blast out to them tomorrow.

I wanted to finish the Donation Pledge page before I sent it out.
Hope to be testing it this evening, then I send the note out.
I try not to send too many emails to the larger lists.

-Lynn
--
-Lynn Bender
http://geekaustin.org

Roy Hall

May 8, 2010, 4:56:54 PM5/8/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
I'm not to worried about, I figured it was going to be like last year.
Just figured I'd throw my two cents in. Just making sure it wasn't
going to be just two people taking 300 computers or w/e did last year.
:)

qchapter

May 10, 2010, 9:20:51 AM5/10/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Ken,

Sounds good, put me down on Alex's team.

Thanks,

Kevin

Matthew Baltera

May 11, 2010, 11:37:45 PM5/11/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Roy,

SIgn me up for the intake team.

Matthew Baltera

Dylan

May 16, 2010, 12:54:40 PM5/16/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
Ken,
I would not mind being one of the machine movers to get the PC to
their destinations. Also, I would not mind getting there a little
early to help out setting up signs and workstations .
Dylan

helios

May 16, 2010, 12:57:35 PM5/16/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Dylan, welcome aboard.  Trust me, there will be plenty to do.  We are also going to need some pre-sort helpers to get some of the in stock parts in the right bins.

Tim Tyrrell

May 17, 2010, 10:34:13 PM5/17/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
I am available that weekend and would like to help out. I am not a
linux expert, but I mess around with Ubuntu in my spare time. Worst
case scenario, I can do some manual labor or clean some toilets. Maybe
install team or the team that does the lifting/delivering? Let me
know.

~Tim

Jon

May 18, 2010, 12:58:05 AM5/18/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
I would also like to help out and would be willing to work wherever
help is needed. I have hardware troubleshooting and Linux desktop
install/troubleshooting experience.

Jon

helios

May 18, 2010, 5:24:51 PM5/18/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, we can sure use you in those respective Teams.

Ken

Jesse G

May 19, 2010, 4:22:43 PM5/19/10
to Linux Against Poverty 2010
I would like to volunteer as well. Name is Jesse Guenter and I have
been building computers for awhile and have extensive network
infrastructure knowledge (although I don't know if that will help).
Can you bring me up to speed on what is coming up for volunteering? is
there something you need help with this Saturday and then June 19th as
well? I have to help someone move this Saturday (fun fun) but maybe
afterward I can help if needed.

Contact info:
jgue...@gmail.com
512-786-7116

Also I would like to try and help in the future with some of our
employees volunteering to cable some of the computer labs I have heard
about. I had some initial talks with the owners and they seemed
interested in helping with donating some materials for these types of
projects. we can talk about that at a later date though.

helios

May 20, 2010, 8:40:32 AM5/20/10
to lap...@googlegroups.com
Jesse, welcome aboard...

I haven't looked at the individual lists yet to see what the numbers are but your skills are probably equally needed in Repair, Intake and Evaluation and Salvage/Parts.  Take a look at each as described in the file documentation and see what you would most like to do.  Post back and we'll get you into the proper slot.

Make sure you coordinate any computer or material donations through Lynn Bender.  He needs to know who to list as sponsors and work with them.