Using small theaters for meeting venues?

Douglas E. Welch

Jan 7, 2009, 10:46:54 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
I have not pursued this at all, but do you think that small theater owners (99 seat) would be willing to rent (cheaply) or donate their theaters on nights when their shows are dark for meetings? It seems like we have a huge number of these spaces which are probably not used every night.

Does anyone have contact with any theater groups that might give us some info on this?

Douglas

boogah

Jan 7, 2009, 10:57:43 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Douglas E. Welch <dou...@welchwrite.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have contact with any theater groups that might give us some
> info on this?

If you can't find anyone to put you in touch with the proper people,
maybe you could check in with the gang at LAist and see who does their
Theatre beat to find out if they know anyone.

http://laist.com/staff.php

Zach's a pretty nice guy and they could possibly put you in touch with
some folks. So it's worth a shot.

-jason!

Douglas E. Welch

Jan 7, 2009, 11:06:20 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
Great idea.

Nancy Tubbs

Jan 7, 2009, 11:11:22 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
As a starting point (I don't have any personal contacts, though):

http://www.shakespearefestivalla.org/contact/facility.php - $20/hour for bare bones, holds up to 300, but you need general liability insurance. This is just NW of downtown LA.

Nancy

Nancy Tubbs
FullCalendar
(lurking, to learn stuff, in many places event organizers gather)

Douglas E. Welch

Jan 7, 2009, 11:21:35 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Nancy's message brings up the important issue of liability insurance. Do you know anything about this due to your BarCampLA experience?

heather vescent

Jan 7, 2009, 11:54:19 PM1/7/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
We used to have to get liability insurance for the barcamps I
organized. It ran about $700+ for 100-150 people for 2 days. I think
MS was able to cover the liability for a barcamp after I organized it
so there wasn't that fee. Also sometimes the venue might have it - but
that would probably result in having a higher rental fee.

I can probably dig up the people we used if they would be of interest.

-Heather
--
Heather Schlegel, heathervescent

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want
the seemingly impossible to become a reality." --Vaclav Havel

Douglas E. Welch

Jan 8, 2009, 12:01:13 AM1/8/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
I found https://productionin.powweb.com/ on an older BarCampLA wiki page

Jason Cosper

Jan 8, 2009, 1:48:29 AM1/8/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 7, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Douglas E. Welch wrote:
> Nancy's message brings up the important issue of liability
> insurance. Do you know anything about this due to your BarCampLA
> experience?

Ever since I've been helping with BarCampLA, we have had Microsoft
covering those costs. Woody has been awesome about hooking us up there.

Well, that's not totally true. The year Heather, Crystal and I did
it, we budgeted for it - but Heather's already laid that out.

-jason.

toni k

Jan 8, 2009, 10:28:16 AM1/8/09
to laorga...@googlegroups.com, Judy Lamppu
Hi everyone,

Please let me contact Judy Lamppu of COSMO - she may have some great contacts for this and I've cc'd her.

Doug, I've been on holiday but will catch up on these emails.  I'll have Judy join the group as she will be invaluable for alot of this networking along with her husband Steve Scott.

tk

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Douglas E. Welch <dou...@welchwrite.com> wrote:

--
Toni Koch