FW: My important message about Julian Assange

Luan Vannithone

Oct 12, 2012, 3:05:37 AM10/12/12
to LaoEnGT

Julian Assange and freedom of speech/the press needs support. Consider signing the petition below.
Sorry this is not quite about translation matter.
Luang

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:01:30 -0700
From: in...@getup.org.au
To: luan_va...@hotmail.com
Subject: My important message about Julian Assange

This message was sent through GetUp! Your personal details have not been shared with Mary Kostakidis or anyone else.

Dear luan,

I’m a GetUp member. I am also a journalist who has engaged with international affairs for decades. That’s why, as a matter of principle, I am greatly disturbed by what’s happening to Julian Assange. It overturns centuries of historic and legal precedent protecting freedom of the press, and exposes journalists around the world to the vengeance and tyranny of governments anywhere.

This point was made in the Editorial Opinion pages of the New York Times :
“If Mr Assange is extradited to the United States, the consequences will reverberate for years around the world. Mr Assange is not an American citizen, and none of his actions have taken place on American soil. If the United States can prosecute a journalist in these circumstances, the governments of Russia or China could, by the same logic, demand that foreign reporters anywhere on earth be extradited for violating their laws. The setting of such a precedent should deeply concern everyone, admirers of WikiLeaks or not.” 1
It is time for the Australian government to take a stand against this. Foreign Minister Bob Carr and Prime Minister Julia Gillard can pick up the phone today and ask for an agreement that the United States will not seek to extradite Assange for his work with WikiLeaks. Please join me in asking them to do so:

www.getup.org.au/campaigns/wikileaks/assange/sign-the-petition

As an Australian citizen, and the head of an Australian-based online media organisation, Mr Assange is entitled to the same rights and protection under freedom of the press that any journalist or publisher requires in order to do their job; without fear that if they expose the truth, they risk being sentenced to the death penalty. They are providing an essential service - empowering us by exposing what governments get up to in our name. We in turn must defend them.

The information WikiLeaks has released revealed serious wrongdoing, from the killing of Reuters news reporters and Iraqi civilians, including children, to corruption that so outraged nations of people it helped spark the Arab Spring. Media outlets around the world also published this information, but their editors’ safety is not at risk; only that of an Australian whose organisation has delivered a secure way for whistleblowers to upload material anonymously.

We know our government can, and must, do better to stand up for freedom of the press. Join me in signing this statement to Foreign Minister Bob Carr today:

www.getup.org.au/campaigns/wikileaks/assange/sign-the-petition

Thanks for being part of this,
Mary Kostakidis, journalist and GetUp member.

--- Note from the GetUp team, please be advised this note refers to sexual violence.---

Since we released the video of our interview with Julian Assange on Monday we've been contacted by many GetUp members with well-considered concerns about the campaign. We want to be clear about GetUp's stance in relation to the sexual assault charges against Julian Assange in Sweden and sexual violence generally.

Mr Assange stands accused of sexual assault in Sweden and must answer those allegations. We can't know what the outcome of that criminal process will be, but we believe that it is important for the allegations to be judged fairly, and for dignity to be afforded his accusers in that process. Allegations of sexual assualt too often are disregarded, too often never heard at all. We believe that resolving the question of Mr Assange’s extradition to the US in order for him to be able to go to Sweden to answer these allegations, would hasten justice for Mr Assange, and for the women who have made the sexual allegations.

We apologise sincerely to those who were offended because this was unclear in our previous email.

These issues can be distressing. Support is available by contacting the National Sexual Assault, Domestic & Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800 737 732 or www.1800respect.org.au.

[1] WikiLeaks and Free Speech By Michael Moore and Oliver Stone, The New York Times, August 20, 2012
GetUp is an independent, not-for-profit community campaigning group. We use new technology to empower Australians to have their say on important national issues. We receive no political party or government funding, and every campaign we run is entirely supported by voluntary donations. If you'd like to contribute to help fund GetUp's work, please donate now! If you have trouble with any links in this email, please go directly to www.getup.org.au. To unsubscribe from GetUp, please click here. Authorised by Sam Mclean, Level 2, 104 Commonwealth Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010.