MSU Science Festival is here -- volunteers wanted!

Carl Raymond

Apr 13, 2016, 3:41:23 PM4/13/16
to Lansing Makers Network
The MSU Science Festival is up and running for another big year. It kicked off last night with a keynote talk by Brian Greene, and runs through April 24. This is a great event with lots of demonstrations, talks, and plenty of family-friendly events. It's not just a kids' event -- lots of things are aimed at adults as well.

Visit http://sciencefestival.msu.edu for the schedule. Everything is free and open to the public.

As usual, LMN will be well represented this weekend, the 16th and 17th, in the Expo Zone in the Biomedical and Physical Sciences building. We'll have Mega Operation, Gigantris, Colossal Connect 4, a 3D printer, a take-apart clinic, and Build-a-Blinky Badge. And the bike generator, I think.

We could always use some more volunteers to help out. The event we'll need the most help with is the Take-Apart Clinic. We're getting some stuff from MSU Salvage, and we put it out for kids to go at with screwdrivers and pliers. Nick will be running it, but we can always use extra help keeping the kids in safety glasses and keeping things running smoothly. The other events can also use help from time to time (especially to cover a table for a quick bathroom break). NO SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED! I will train you to use a hot glue gun.

The event runs from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday, and 11:00am to 4:00pm on Sunday. If you're able to help out for, say, half a day, we'd love to have you. And if you can do more, that's great.

If you'd like to help out, please reply back on this list, saying when you can be there, so we know what to expect. We could use at least 2-3 people at all times, for the Take-Apart and to temporarily cover other tables, but the more, the merrier.

This is a great outreach event for LMN, and gives us a lot of exposure. While the kids are having fun, we have a moment to chat with parents, and explain what we're all about.

The festival is all over the campus, but concentrated in the science part of it. The Expo Zone, where LMN will be, is in Biomedical and Physical Sciences (and adjoining buildings). This is a newer building at the corner of Farm Lane and Wilson Road, on the backside of the Chemistry Building. Parking is free on the weekend.

Even if you can't help out, try to attend whatever part of the event you can. This is one of MSU's biggest events, and a lot goes into it. It's a good time for all.

Thanks!

Carl

Shannon Bowyer

Apr 13, 2016, 4:05:13 PM4/13/16
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
I can be there all of Sunday - whatever needs to be done. :)

--

---