Laser Cutter Size

Brian Keehner

Dec 15, 2015, 2:58:12 PM12/15/15
to Lansing Maker's Network

I visited the Lansing Maker's Network a while ago and have planned on joining but was waiting to find a project to work on before paying dues. I finally found the project but wanted to make sure the specs of the laser will work.

I have a board that is just over 3/4' thick and am trying to laser engrave an image on it. Will this fit in the laser bed? If so, how do I sign up and is there an authorization process to get access to the laser?

Joe Zimmerman

Dec 15, 2015, 3:17:03 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
The laser "should" work just fine for 3/4'  thick (9 inches)...

The cutting area is 700mm x 500mm cutting area (27.559in x 19.685in)

I'll double check and measure the maximum thickness tonight when I'm at the space and get back to you.

We have a checkout class you must attend before using the laser, it takes about an hour and we can schedule one for you anytime after you join as a member.

Right now we are in the process of moving locations and the Laser and people will not be available to help you on Saturday.  I suspect the laser cutter will be the first tool setup in the new space and should be available by Monday.

Joe Zimmerman

Brian Keehner

Dec 15, 2015, 4:07:09 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! I would be interested in coming by to take the checkout class and go through the appropriate steps to join.

Where is the new space? I am available on Monday if you need help setting up the new area.

--

---

Joe Zimmerman

Dec 15, 2015, 4:18:56 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
The new space is located at 2400 W. St. Joseph. Suite F

I don't know what time I'll be at the space Monday, but I do know that other people will be in and out all day.  There are several people who can sign you off on the laser cutter.  Maybe someone else wants to chime in if they know their Monday schedule.  Our normal open hours are Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons, but I think this week there will be activity every day.

Joe

--

---

Joe Zimmerman

Dec 15, 2015, 5:50:44 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
I have measured the z axis travel for our laser, it is about 7.5 inches... Any thicker than that you would. It be able to fit it in the machine

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 15, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Brian Keehner <keeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

I visited the Lansing Maker's Network a while ago and have planned on joining but was waiting to find a project to work on before paying dues. I finally found the project but wanted to make sure the specs of the laser will work.

I have a board that is just over 3/4' thick and am trying to laser engrave an image on it. Will this fit in the laser bed? If so, how do I sign up and is there an authorization process to get access to the laser?

Shannon Bowyer

Dec 15, 2015, 5:57:09 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity.. that 7.5 isn't including space you'd need for focus is it? (off the top of my head 18mm == ~0.7 in.? Not positive...)

Joe Zimmerman

Dec 15, 2015, 7:35:37 PM12/15/15
to lansing-mak...@googlegroups.com
It was a rough measurement and a guess removing the 18mm... so in fact it's closer to 7.5 than to 7.