We need your input to make couple of design decisions

lhp-dev

Feb 4, 2009, 8:02:33 AM2/4/09
to Lanka History Portal
Guys,

we have to make couple of design decisions on UI development + DB
schema.

The first decision we have to make is to make a choice between
Richfaces VS Icefaces [1] The things to consider are :
- IDE Support
- Stability
- Integration with JBoss Seam[2] (of course Seam supports both)
- Number of components offered
- Resource consumption
- Look and feel

The second question we have is, how are we going to accommodate
Localized *content* (not the menu/labels etc)? I have one approach in
my mind .. but all ears are open for you, I want to pick the best
design not just what I feel as what's correct. Please note that the
table structures are *not* finalized but it's *not* faulty, it works
fine on MySQL 5.0. You may like to have access to them , to recommend
us what's most suited.

You can access the present seam-gen build and the table structures
from the *temporary* SVN trunk [3]

We *do* have a permanent SVN , given my Viraj, to which we're porting
our code once these decisions are made and things are finalized. We're
just one step away from starting the read development work.

[1] http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=richfaces+vs+icefaces&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D
[2] http://www.seamframework.org/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/lhp/source/checkout

Cheers
TW

Chamara Peiris

Feb 4, 2009, 9:03:02 AM2/4/09
to lanka-hist...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the UI development, I can provide HTML files and hope we can integrate it with the technology we are going to use.

Cheers,
--
Chamara Peiris | http://apramana.com | http://sewuma.com | +94 712 967 967

lhp-dev

Feb 4, 2009, 9:16:00 AM2/4/09
to Lanka History Portal
Hi Chamara,

On Feb 5, 12:03 am, Chamara Peiris <pei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the UI development, I can provide HTML files and hope we can
> integrate it with the technology we are going to use.

Yes, this will be very easy for you.. we're using xhtml + css..
Once we develop the UI layer (after implementing the components). we
can pass it to you ..
This will be very easy for you, since we've placed all the UI (view)
related components at one place.[1]

To be precise .. it's not us.. but what seam-gen does :-)

[1] http://code.google.com/p/lhp/source/browse/#svn/trunk/lhp/view

You've been always helpful .. thanks Chamara..

Cheers

Chamara Peiris

Feb 4, 2009, 9:21:37 AM2/4/09
to lanka-hist...@googlegroups.com
That's good. So let me know when to start my job.

lhp-dev

Feb 6, 2009, 7:28:52 AM2/6/09
to Lanka History Portal
> we have to make couple of design decisions on UI development + DB
> schema.
>
> The first decision we have to make is to make a choice between
> Richfaces VS Icefaces [1] The things to consider are :
> - IDE Support
> - Stability
> - Integration with JBoss Seam[2] (of course Seam supports both)
> - Number of components offered
> - Resource consumption
> - Look and feel

we decided to use Richfaces ahead of Icefaces .. due to a number of
reasons.. and of course it complies with the above given criteria.. i
haven't installed sinhala support on this laptop yet.. apologies for
writing in english :(

i have checked in the base project to svn trunk. i haven't added any
code yet .. but it's better to check this out and verify with settings
and make this run in your environment :-)
will create a wiki on how to get this done.. in case if any assistance
is needed.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/lhp/source/checkout

cheers
TW