How fascinating!

Benjamin Barrett

Jan 12, 2014, 3:29:17 AM1/12/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
It's important to use keywords in the source language so that learners can focus on the target language. (Page 91 of the Language Hunters Kit mentions English as a bridge language, but whatever language the learner is most comfortable in should obviously be used.)

When searching for a Japanese equivalent of "How fascinating!" for Japanese native speakers, I asked two Japanese native speakers, but neither had any idea when I explained the concept, so I went with "sugoi!" (凄い!)

Today, one of the people I originally asked suggested "hee, sou nan da!" (へぇ、そうなんだ!)

That doesn't make total sense when there is a performance error, but it might work.

The wiki (http://wiki.whereareyourkeys.org/Main_Page, down right now) has:

• Danish: Hvor fascinerende!
• Japanese: すごい (sugoi)
• Spanish: ¡Qué fascinante!

For Italian, Google Translate provides "affascinante" for "fascinating," but the Italian Wiktionary (https://it.wiktionary.org/wiki/fascinating) says it's "emozionante."

Do other people have equivalents for this in other languages?

Ben Barrett
La Conner, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos

Benjamin Barrett

Jan 13, 2014, 11:54:59 PM1/13/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Alan Post, the wikikeeper has restored the wiki :)

Stefan

Jan 14, 2014, 1:17:01 AM1/14/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Portugues (Brazil): Legal!! :)
strangely enough, didn't find anything good in German yet.

Benjamin Barrett

Jan 14, 2014, 5:54:38 AM1/14/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
That's great, thank you! I've added them: http://wiki.whereareyourkeys.org/How_Fascinating#