Soft selling

Benjamin Barrett

Dec 26, 2013, 5:33:00 PM12/26/13
to language...@googlegroups.com
I connected with an Italian speaker the other day. I didn't mention LH at all; instead, we just arranged to do a video chat on Skype.

He asked right away what we should talk about, so I suggested a game. I jumped right into it:

I'll give you X
Here you go (an expression learners rarely know)
I gave you X

Some of the time I used signs, some of the time, not. We switched languages once or twice.

At some point after that, I texted him with the name of the game. Today, we did a second session, practicing "what is this?" and "trade X for Y." He just jumped right into it and switched languages at what seemed like appropriate intervals. We also did "Do you want an X" - his "v" pronunciation in "vuoi" sounded like a "w" to me, so I was completely lost for a few seconds--a great lesson for me!

Even though separating the two languages into two sessions would have been a bit more productive, we both learned some language, and at the end, he really wanted to know more about the technique, so I sent him links to two videos.

We have another session scheduled for Saturday. Maybe I'll get a little practice of those endless pronouns--but either way, I'll be happy to just master the genders a bit more.

Ben Barrett
La Conner, WA

Willem Larsen

Jan 2, 2014, 9:00:57 PM1/2/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Cool Ben! I think that's the best approach - no explanations or theorizing, just playing the game.

yrs,
Willem