Quechua

Benjamin Barrett

Dec 14, 2013, 8:35:46 PM12/14/13
to language...@googlegroups.com
I just finished my first session in Quechua.

I used Skype with Evaer for recording. Unfortunately, Evaer is now for-pay, which I didn't know, so I got only five minutes of our session, the maximum trial length. The video is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxFuCgcIeM&feature=youtu.be

My conversation partner is Edher, a Peruvian bilingual native of Spanish (first) and Quechua (second) who is learning English. For his preparation, I sent him some links to a couple of LH videos, and then today, we started the session in English.

For my preparation, I looked at the Wikipedia page on Quechua briefly, noting that there are 18 cases and contrast between aspirates and non-aspirates (the difference between the "p" in "pot" and "spot"). I'll read the page a couple more times as we go along just so I can be vaguely aware of issues that will come up.

In the video, he points out that "imam" should have a schwa sound, after which I sometimes hit the vowel correctly and sometimes revert to a regular "a" sound, LOL.

After the session, I explained that now it's possible for me to learn Quechua without using English or Spanish since I can say, "What is this?" I think he was surprised at that part of the approach! But he clearly enjoyed the LH in both directions.

I thought it was interesting that even though he knows a great deal of English, the question inversion (What is this vs. This is an X) gave him a little bit of trouble. It was great to see the power of LH to work at a deep level and correct that issue.

Ben Barrett
La Conner, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos