Language Hunt - Free Play moves in the game

Willem Larsen

Feb 23, 2014, 9:15:42 PM2/23/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Anyone who has downloaded the language hunt game set (that I posted here a week or two back) for play testing has probably noticed what an integral part Free Play moves play in the game.

Repetition Rounds alternate with Free Play rounds for every bite-sized piece that comes up in play, for each question square as you move about the board.

In the document I included a lot of examples of simple and effective Free Play moves to start with (close one eye, turn your back to the table, no hands, no voice, pat your head and rub your belly) that you perform while working the bite-sized piece just thrown into play during the previous Repetition Round.

The best way to go is definitely to start with the ones in the guide for the first timed immersion segment or two, but then, before you start the third, definitely pass out blank Free Play cards and sharpies, and have each player make up their own!

We had a hilarious first session of a German Night last Thursday, powered by the deeply disturbing Free Play moves selected by the evening's players:

Show Your Teeth
Say it with a Lisp
Wear der Hut (there was a bavarian hat that a player brought)
Stick your tongue out and say it
Say "scheiss" between each word
Inward talking (i.e., breath in while talking rather than the normal breathing out)
Say it as a burp (much harder than it sounds)

Hilarious and fun. Probably the most fun I have ever had language hunting, I'm shocked to say. Well, leading a game, anyway.

yrs,
Willem

Joel Thomas

Feb 24, 2014, 10:24:46 AM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com, willem...@gmail.com
Any videos?

Willem Larsen

Feb 24, 2014, 10:37:57 AM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Joel,

Not yet - but you can help us with the process - what part of play is confusing? Where do you think video would be most useful? Where are there instructions missing or unclear?

yrs,
Willem

Joel Thomas

Feb 24, 2014, 11:26:40 AM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com, willem...@gmail.com
As a novice struggling to get started with old school WAYK, I'm afraid I can't make head or tail of the game set PDF you sent me.

Who goes first? How? They draw a card I suppose...

Then what? Do they ask a question, make up a sentence, have a short conversation? To or with whom? Or are they supposed to "hunt" something? Again, with whom?

If they're supposed to "hunt" something, how much about language hunting do they need to have explained to them to start with?

What are complete beginners with no vocabulary or anything supposed to do?

I know it's probably expected that I would have a bit of background, but in all the hours I've spent digging through the wikis, the websites, the Google Groups, the YouTube and Vimeo playlists, the Language Hunter's Kit and so on I must have missed the explanation of how this game board concept works.

You don't necessarily need to give me the full game booklet, all I would need are some links to read up on. Actually it would probably be simpler if you just took a video of your next session, especially if a complete beginner is present, to help me get the general idea.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, because I know this is all very new and recent and I don't want to be too demanding. I've experienced myself what happens when you've been on the inside for so long that you forget how to explain it from the outside. But I get the feeling that those who have developed WAYK/LH and/or been introduced to it in person don't really have a handle on just how hard it is for someone on the other side of the planet to have to hunt around online for the scraps and piece them together if they want to get started themselves.

I'm not blaming anyone for this, everybody's done so much and I'm really grateful. This is why I'm saying don't bother with writing it up for now because I expect that will be very time consuming, a video of any given session will be fine. Again, thank you all for sharing.

Willem Larsen

Feb 24, 2014, 11:41:07 AM2/24/14
to Joel Thomas, language...@googlegroups.com
Joel,

Perfect - that's exactly the information I needed to know. No offense taken - I just needed a clearer picture of where you were at in engaging language hunting.

This weekend we're having a language hunting immersion weekend and my plan is to use the event to generate some videos that can answer your questions.

yrs,
Willem

Joel Thomas

Feb 24, 2014, 2:49:58 PM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, thank you very much!

Stefan

Feb 24, 2014, 7:06:48 PM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
yes, as always, videos would be great, especially anything involving more than 2/3 players.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Joel Thomas <joel.th...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fantastic, thank you very much!

Willem Larsen

Feb 24, 2014, 7:41:09 PM2/24/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Great. I'll try to arrange a game of at least 4 players for the videos.

yrs,
Willem