Language Hunt video demo - feedback asap this is your chance

Willem Larsen

Mar 1, 2014, 3:41:05 PM3/1/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Alright gang. Here it is. What's missing? Which bits are still unclear? We've got one more day of the Irish weekend - give us feedback while we've got a pack of folks available to demo games.

yrs,
Willem

Mar 2, 2014, 1:16:09 AM3/2/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
This is very nice.

Could we possibly have an English transcript in the description? That way we can get a handle on how they're keeping it Obvious and how they move forward.

Another video I'd really like to see is how you explain the game to people who are about to play for the very first time. This will really boost my confidence starting out. I imagine you would start with only cups and introduce glasses later. Do you teach them My Turn Your Turn in Gaelic in the first session?...

Willem Larsen

Mar 2, 2014, 8:25:14 AM3/2/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
We're just saying, "What is that? That is a cup. What is that? That is a glass."

That's it. On the table you need either two nouns, or one noun with two adjectives, in order to negate anything.

A good judge of how clear and "obvious" the setting is, is whether or not people copy-cat it readily. A bite-sized piece is "the smallest, meaningful, lively exchange that keeps the game moving forward."

As far as intros, I say, "This is a follow-the-leader game. The only rule you need to worry about is "copy-cat". Copy my signs and my voice. Here we go - 'Cad é seo?' 'Is cupán é seo." etc.

Before you start, the more you explain in English (or whatever you spoken bridge language is) the worse the game gets. Just play. People will make up their own minds about the experience. They truly need no other information than "this is a follow the leader game - copy-cat my signs and my face."

Have you gone to our youtube channel? There are dozens of games there that model play, strong set-ups, and give you a sense of the immersion experience. Though they are in Irish, you still should have a sense of what's going on. Here's one playlist -

yrs,
Willem

Willem Larsen

Mar 2, 2014, 8:29:58 AM3/2/14
to language...@googlegroups.com

One last thought - you do want folks eventually to learn how to use the board and cards to move play along. But not for the first game. Just play, play, play. Explain later.

yrs,
Willem

Joel Thomas

Mar 2, 2014, 4:08:46 PM3/2/14