Another name for the "Fluent Fool"?

Zhon Johansen

Nov 26, 2013, 10:10:36 AM11/26/13
to language...@googlegroups.com
Last weekend at the awesome three day Irish Language Hunt immersion, I introduced our table's language guide as the

"Fluent Fool".

Silence ensued. Everyone was shocked! I had just called this knowledgable, elderly lady a "Fool". I would prefer to call her our

"Language Guide"

The language guide has the responsibility of knowing when to correct grammar, improve fluency, or tune accent. She might even veto certain scenarios as they introduce more than a "Bite Sized" piece.

Willem Larsen

Nov 26, 2013, 10:40:11 AM11/26/13
to language...@googlegroups.com
Zhon,

Yes, I remember you mentioning this. I'm definitely open to this, and I want to explore it a little bit.

I originally coined "Fluent Fool" to solve an interconnected net of needs. We needed a name that:

-Made it clear that the person in question was a recognized resource at the table.
-Made it clear that the person was not expected to teach; in fact, was expected not to teach.
-Made it clear that the person had no responsibilities (per se) except sharing their language.
-Implied that they would only speak in the target language (no explaining or translating).
-Communicated this in a playful way that encouraged openness and trust.

I've never been completely satisfied with "Fluent Fool", especially when it comes to working with community elders. It's better for young people sharing their mother tongue.

So "Language Guide" mostly does fit those needs. I wonder if there are other variations we might explore:

-"Fluent Friend"
-"The Language Source"
-"The Signpost'

I don't know that those work either. But I do think you're on to something. Thoughts?

yrs,
Willem

Jay Bazuzi

Feb 10, 2014, 6:55:07 PM2/10/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
I came across a name in a linguistics video: "informant".

-J

Benjamin Barrett

Feb 10, 2014, 7:00:47 PM2/10/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow-up, Jay!

I just heard a linguistics professor talking about this the other day. Although that's the conventional word in linguistics, it also has problems. People sometimes object because it sounds like snitch.

Collaborator and consultant seem to be widely used now: https://linguistlist.org/issues/5/5-1022.html. Those seem good for this purpose, too!

Best regards
Ben Barrett
La Conner, WA

Joel Thomas

Feb 13, 2014, 3:35:33 PM2/13/14
to language...@googlegroups.com
How about the Silent Sage?

Or if "informant" isn't catchy enough Supergrass, maybe...? :)

OK seriously, what about "the Gold Mine"? Language hunters are like miners, mining the golden language sitting inside the mind of their "fluent friend"...