langpop.com, fantastic site!

lsiden

Dec 21, 2011, 11:07:46 PM12/21/11
to LangPop
That is a fantastic site! I can't believe you're selling it. Why
don't you donate it to the Dept. of Computer Science at your "alma
mater" (assuming you graduated from a college w/ a Dept of Comp Sci),
or donate it to a fairly stable non-for-profit professional
organization that is programming-language agnostic or at least doesn't
have an axe to grind? Maybe Code-Mash (just guessing)? That would be
a pity to see it go unattended, or fall into the hands of someone with
an agenda other than to find out what languages people are actually
using at any given moment.

David Welton

Dec 22, 2011, 4:49:53 AM12/22/11
to lan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:07 AM, lsiden <lsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is a fantastic site!  I can't believe you're selling it.  Why
> don't you donate it to the Dept. of Computer Science at your "alma
> mater" (assuming you graduated from a college w/ a Dept of Comp Sci),
> or donate it to a fairly stable non-for-profit professional
> organization that is programming-language agnostic or at least doesn't
> have an axe to grind?

I've considered open sourcing it, but to tell the truth, I wouldn't
mind making *something* back from my hard work on it. When I wrote
it, I had no kids and lots of time, now I have two of them and no time
at all, and could always use some extra cash.

> Maybe Code-Mash (just guessing)?  That would be
> a pity to see it go unattended, or fall into the hands of someone with
> an agenda other than to find out what languages people are actually
> using at any given moment.

Selling it to someone who gets it *is* part of my condition for the
sale. I don't want to have it turned into an ugly wasteland of
advertisements. I don't think that even makes sense economically -
programmers are mostly ad-blind, so the best strategy would be to have
the site be an advertisement for one company that sells something
directly related to programmers.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Larry Siden

Dec 22, 2011, 12:46:59 PM12/22/11
to lan...@googlegroups.com
Well good luck.  Hope you find someone or some organization.

-Larry Siden

“The United States is a nation of laws - poorly written and randomly enforced."
-Frank Zappa, 1940-1993