Future of LangPop

matthew rummler

Jul 6, 2015, 7:03:35 PM7/6/15
to lan...@googlegroups.com
Just opening this up for general comments &, (hopefully support/discussion).

The way you (I'm assuming all work was performed by David Welton...), compiled data on the popularity of a language seems more accurate than most methods.
Too often the popularity measurements seem to include mostly interest and not actual use.

Data Update
The last, (& possibly first?), LangPop chart was in 2013, (as far as I can tell).
Are there plans for updating the data behind LangPop for the current year (or a future year)?

If not is there some way those of us who are interested can provide assistance?

OR, am I misunderstanding and all data is always current (as in when the page loads the screen scrapes and API calls are all made as of the time the page loads)??

Future
I personally suggest including some method of generating some income for the service being provided.
I recommend the following few possibilities:
-Donate button
-Advertising space
-Premium data analysis (for interested parties to purchase)
I'd also like to know if anyone else feels the service/site could use some form of income generation to ensure that it remains long term.

Last
Thanks David, (and whoever else if there was anyone), for what you have produced and for your time!

Any other thougths on these topics?

David Welton

Jul 14, 2015, 2:17:44 AM7/14/15
to lan...@googlegroups.com, mattr...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 3:30 PM, matthew rummler <mattr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just opening this up for general comments &, (hopefully support/discussion).
>
> The way you (I'm assuming all work was performed by David Welton...),
> compiled data on the popularity of a language seems more accurate than most
> methods.
> Too often the popularity measurements seem to include mostly interest and
> not actual use.

Thanks! It makes me happy to receive a nice comment. It's pretty
easy to say "well, yeah, but it's not *perfect*", and a lot of people
have.

> Data Update
> The last, (& possibly first?), LangPop chart was in 2013, (as far as I can
> tell).

That's about when I sold it on.

> Are there plans for updating the data behind LangPop for the current year
> (or a future year)?

You'll have to ask the new owner.

> If not is there some way those of us who are interested can provide
> assistance?
>
> OR, am I misunderstanding and all data is always current (as in when the
> page loads the screen scrapes and API calls are all made as of the time the
> page loads)??
>
> Future
> I personally suggest including some method of generating some income for the
> service being provided.
> I recommend the following few possibilities:
> -Donate button
> -Advertising space
> -Premium data analysis (for interested parties to purchase)
> I'd also like to know if anyone else feels the service/site could use some
> form of income generation to ensure that it remains long term.
>

> Last
> Thanks David, (and whoever else if there was anyone), for what you have
> produced and for your time!

You're welcome!

> Any other thougths on these topics?

I don't have time for it, and I'd feel bad starting a 'new' competitor
to something I sold, but if he's not doing anything with it, maybe you
should take the ideas and run with them. It's not that difficult.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/
> --
> --
> ---
> "LangPop" group.
> email to langpop+u...@googlegroups.com.

David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

matthew rummler

Jul 14, 2015, 2:08:18 PM7/14/15
to David Welton, lan...@googlegroups.com
Hey David

Glad the positive feedback is nice to get.
Unfortunately I'm not interested enough to persue producing a competitor to what you made, (though I do think it's funny someone bought it and did nothing with it... maybe they felt your method was exposing a weakness in other methods that they find advantageous as marketing...[as in artificially inflating the popularity of a language that makes them money]).

Anyway thanks!
--
208-856-0012
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch