Delphi and Pascal?! Or NOT?

ErikJu...@mailinator.com

Jan 26, 2010, 3:41:44 PM1/26/10
to LangPop
I could argue that these two should be merged, since Delphi is
actually IDE with Pascal language (actually, Object Pascal, today's
defacto standard implementation of Pascal). Separating Delphi and
Pascal is just like separating Visual Studio C++ and GNU C++. I
believe many Pascal jobs are addressed like Delphi jobs. I have never
seen any advertisement for a Pascal programmer position, but have seen
many for Delphi.

David Welton

Jan 27, 2010, 9:21:45 AM1/27/10
to lan...@googlegroups.com

So, should I just get rid of Pascal, as it seems to be the less
popular of the two?

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/
Sent from Padova, PD, Italy

David

Mar 11, 2010, 12:24:10 PM3/11/10
to LangPop
Merging Pascal into Delphi seems pretty reasonable, whether you label
it Delphi (more popular), Pascal (the actual language name), or Delphi/
Pascal.

One thing I found in recently researching language popularity is that
Pascal is immensely popular with some algorithmic competitions,
totally in contrast to the tables on this site:
http://www.spoj.pl/ranks/languages/
but I suspect this derives from the fact that, at the International
Olympiad in Informatics, only C, C++ and Pascal are allowed.