Language Request: Groovy

Kevin G

Mar 17, 2011, 2:51:31 PM3/17/11
to LangPop
I'd like to put in another request for Groovy.

Languages like that run on the Java VM, like Scala, are rapidly
growing in popularity. As such, Groovy will continue to be on the
rise for some time. Think of it as Ruby for Java.

What makes it worth considering is that the learning curve for
existing java programmers is nearly zero, especially since pure java
syntax works in the language and java files can be imported as easily
as Groovy ones. Thus the adoption among Java developers will continue
to grow. Every big-name java conference has several sections that
cater to Groovy and Scala.

Mainly because groovy is appealing to java devs. It allows for, quick,
"dirty" scripting in a java "style" without all the formality and
bloat that comes along with using java. Moreover, it is a language
pioneering the use of Closures—a construct that is growing in
popularity so fast that it will officially be included in the next
java release (Java 7). When it comes to many other features, there
even seems to be evidence that Java and Scala are borrowing certain
things from Groovy. At a minimum, they're all watching each other.
LangPop should watch Groovy too.

Kevin G

Mar 17, 2011, 3:06:52 PM3/17/11
to LangPop
One thing I forgot to mention in my language request: Doing an amazon
search for Groovy returns pages and pages of Groovy development
books. A search for "groovy programming" returns 41 books.

Smalltalk programming ~ 104
Groovy programming ~ 41
Erlang programming ~ 38
Rexx Programming ~ 30
OCaml Programming ~ 17
D Programming ~ 6

Craigslist (using language programmer -"job wanted"
site:craigslist.org)

fortran ~ 938
groovy ~ 630
groovy -"groovy web software" ~ 212 (on visual inspection, none of
these results use groovy as an adjective)
smalltalk ~ 57
scala ~ 54
erlang ~ 31
lisp ~ 9

I think this is compelling data, arguing for considering Groovy.

David Welton

Mar 18, 2011, 11:32:04 AM3/18/11
to lan...@googlegroups.com, Kevin G
> I'd like to put in another request for Groovy.
>
> Languages like that run on the Java VM, like Scala, are rapidly
> growing in popularity.  As such, Groovy will continue to be on the
> rise for some time.  Think of it as Ruby for Java.

Yeah, I think Groovy, Scala and Clojure all probably deserve a place
at the table... now I just need to get some time to add them.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Tom Gullo

Jun 7, 2011, 8:27:39 AM6/7/11
to lan...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please add Groovy

Stephen Prather

Jan 6, 2014, 3:56:23 PM1/6/14
to lan...@googlegroups.com
Still waiting for Groovy :(.

On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:27:39 AM UTC-5, Tom Gullo wrote:
Yes, please add Groovy