Support Zone with Northside Partnership wish to inform and encourage the community about allotments

ClaireatNSPartnership

Jun 3, 2010, 5:43:40 AM6/3/10
to Landshare Ireland, carolin...@nspartnership.ie
Dear All,

My name is Claire Morrissey and I am working with the Support Zone at
Northside Partnership (www.northsidepartnership.ie). The mission of
the Support Zone is to enhance community resilience through the
promotion of support services and organisations within the Northside
Partnership catchment area. This initiative seeks to maintain the
social and psychological wellbeing of individuals who are feeling
marginalised as a result of the economic downturn. Community members
of all ages and from all walks of life will be provided with the
opportunity to access the wide range of services and opportunities
available within their locality. The Support Zone also seeks to re-
enforce the fabric of society by encouraging community service, civic
engagement and social responsibility within the population.

I believe community allotments or gardens could be beneficial for the
community. I have learned from the Dublin Parks Department that 520
people applied for an allotment in St.Anne's Park (90 allotment plots
opening in July 2010). The demand for allotments is clearly
illustrated by the number of allotment requests. The Support Zone will
be hosting an open day on 29th July 2010 (I will post location later).
We hope to present possible outlets and activities the communtiy of
our catchment area could become involved with. I would welcome someone
from Landshare Ireland who could inform our community about
campaigning for allotments in our locality. I would also welcome
further information about the progress Landshare Ireland has made in
securing potential allotments in the Dublin area. The Support Zone
would be glad to highlight an active community campaign for such a
sustainable and beneficial endeavour.

Please respond with your ideas and advice,

Best Regards,

Claire Morrissey