Re: [LORA:220] First responders article in Sentinel

1 view

johnmayo

Mar 29, 2011, 12:52:05 PM3/29/11
to landowners-ri...@googlegroups.com
Vicki,
Thanks for this! I will try to be there if I can possibly
make it (don't know for sure). The more we know the better
we are for it.
John Mayo.
VP LORA

> Haynesville Shale first-responders to learn gas well site
> operations
>
> Training session will teach hazards involved in drilling
>

> The Danielle Dawn Smalley Foundation will host a training
> session for first-responders in Shelby Field in the
> Texas Haynesville Shale drilling region.
>
> During this session, responders will learn about gas-well
> site operations, hazards and emergency- response
> protocols.
>
> The training session is sponsored by EXCO Resources Inc.
> and is coordinated by the Smalley Foundation, in
> cooperation with local emergency response agencies.
>
> “As drilling activity expands, first responders working
in
> the Haynesville Shale increasingly want and need
> information about local drilling operations and wellsite
> emergency response protocols,” said Michelle Joseph,
> executive director for the Danielle Dawn Smalley
> Foundation.
>
> “The focused training sessions we are hosting will
enhance
> community safety and improve interagency emergency
> response in coordination with operators. We applaud EXCO
> Resources’ leadership and initiative to sponsor this
> training and are encouraged by the interest and
> engagement from local response agencies.”
>
> Responders attending the training sessions will learn
> about gas-well site operations and discuss potential
> hazards, well-site emergency response protocols and
> guidance for coordinating response activities with local
> operators.
>
> The training sessions for firstresponders initiate a
> series of community engagement activities designed to
> facilitate communication and enhance emergency planning
> and preparedness. Over the next 12 months, the Smalley
> Foundation will also coordinate community awareness
> meetings and outreach to local schools and school bus
> drivers.
>
> “We are excited to facilitate dialog between various
> stakeholders in the Haynesville Shale including
> operators, emergency responders and community
leaders,”
> Joseph adds.
>
> Responders in the Haynesville Shale, Marcellus Shale and
> Barnett Shale drilling regions are just some of the
> thousands of first responders in communities with gas
> drilling and pipeline infrastructure who have received
> training from the Smalley Foundation since 2002. Shelby
> Field first responders can attend a dinner and
> presentation to be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 31, in
> the Chireno Community Center, 664 Main St., Chireno.
>
> For information or to RSVP, contact Michelle Joseph at
> 972-742-5790 or michell...@smalleyfnd.org.
>
> ——— The Smalley Foundation is a private, non-profit
> corporation dedicated to partnering with natural gas
> producers and pipeline companies to increase safety
> around pipelines and gaswell sites through
> emergencyresponder training and publicawareness programs.
>
> Since 2002, the Foundation has conducted emergency
> response training for thousands of firstresponders in
> communities with gas drilling and pipeline
> infrastructure.
>
> The Smalley Foundation was established by Danny Smalley,
> the father of Danielle Dawn Smalley, who was killed in a
> pipeline explosion in 1996 in Kaufman County.
>
> --

http://groups.google.com/group/landowners-rights-alliance?hl=en.

Vicki Baggett

Apr 4, 2011, 9:57:36 PM4/4/11
to landowners-ri...@googlegroups.com
Dear LORA-

Pineywoods Sierra Group is sponsoring a screening and discussion of the award-winning film Gasland on Tuesday, April 12 from 6-8 p.m. in the meeting room of the Student Recreation Center at SFA.

The largest domestic natural gas drilling boom in history has swept across the United States. The Halliburton developed drilling technology called "fracking" or hydraulic fracturing has unlocked a "Saudia Arabia of natural gas" just beneath us. But is fracking safe? When filmmaker Josh Fox is asked to lease his land for drilling, he embarks on a cross-country road trip to find the answer to this question.  Part verite`travelogue, part expose, part mystery, part bluegrass banjo meltdown, part showdown, Gasland is a crosscountry odyssey with unexpected humor, uncovering a trail of secrets, lies and contamination.

We are in need of folks to help with the discussion---to tell their story, to give information, anything like that.  Nothing formal.  Please email Vicki Baggett at vlba...@gmail.com if you are willing to help out.  I think that people are very moved by hearing personal testimony.  Written testimony is fine, too.  We will be inviting press, so this could be one more way to get fracking out there in the public.

Also showing for Earth week, if you are interested:

 H2Oil screening and discussion, Thursday, April 14th, 6 p.m. in the meeting room of the Student Recreation Center at SFA.  Sponsored by STOP.

 Constance Droganes of CBC online calls H2Oil "an eye-popping exploration into the Athabasca oil sands' impact on local water ecology and peoples' health".  David Suzuki calls the tar sands mining "an environmental catastrophe that will take centuries to recover from...if we recover at all."

Thank you,

Vicki Baggett