"Gasland" and Comment Period For New TCEQ Rules

John Mayo

Aug 9, 2010, 6:15:44 PM8/9/10
to Landowner's Rights Alliance
Please read the article below. I assure you, the technology used in
fracking is not safe. I hope to have "Gasland", the documentary
exposing the problems associated with the practice of fracking to
extract natural gas from shale and other formations for viewing this
fall. It aired on HBO in June. If I can't land a public viewing here
(by Josh Fox the creator of Gasland), we will wait for the DVD and
have our own.
If any of you have seen Gasland please give us your comments. Some of
the terrible environmental incidences seen in the documentary have
happened right here in Nac county.
Thanks,
John Mayo.
Ps Please check out the new TECQ rules on fracking and send them your
comments.

Have your say: TCEQ taking comment on new rules for oil and gas
drilling starting Aug. 13
StoryComments (1)Share This
ShareSend this page to your friendsPrintCreate a hardcopy of this
pageFont Size:Default font sizeLarger font sizePosted: Friday, July
30, 2010 2:00 am

| 1 comment

With the increasing oil and gas drilling taking place across East
Texas, some landowners are at least a little curious about the long-
term effects the drilling may have on their property and surrounding
environment.

Questions have been posed about the effects, if any, fracking - or
hydraulic fracturing - may have on water sources.

Back in March, the Environmental Protection Agency said it would begin
to take a closer look at the environmental and human health impact of
shale gas drilling. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said at the time
before a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing that his department
was looking at whether to require shale gas producers using federal
land to disclose the chemicals used in fracking.

While energy companies assert new drilling technology is safe and
maintain there is no evidence that indicates fracking has affected
water supplies, some environmental groups say the technique is not
safe and have asked for governmental regulation.

Now, Texas environmental regulators have formally proposed beefing up
regulations on oil and gas drilling, in an attempt to reduce air
pollution caused when companies use fracking to extract natural gas
trapped in deep shales, the Associated Press reported this week.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality formally submitted the
proposal on Wednesday, and the rules will enter a one-month public
comment phase on Aug. 13.

The AP reports that the new rules come after TCEQ was accused of
having "weak regulations that contributed to air pollution and high
levels of cancer-causing toxins were found in Barnett Shale drilling
sites in a north Texas town."

Shale drilling has now expanded from predominantly rural areas into
urban areas, which is probably why it's getting more attention from
lawmakers, environmental agencies and a curious and concerned public.

"This is the latest step in our efforts to ensure safe air quality in
areas where oil and gas production is ongoing," TCEQ Chairman Bryan W.
Shaw said in a press release issued by TCEQ Wednesday. "The tremendous
expansion of drilling in the Barnett Shale, in and around urban areas,
required our agency to take a closer look at the potential impacts and
protective measures that could be instituted to protect the public
health around these operations."

Interested parties should go to the TCEQ Web site at www.tceq.state.tx.us
between Aug. 13 and Sept. 17, where the proposed rules will be
published and those who wish to comment will be instructed on how to
voice concerns or ask questions.

Companies conducting oil and gas drilling have long assured the public
their technologies are safe and pose no threat to the environment or
the public. But closer scrutiny by regulators may serve to put to rest
unfounded concerns, or it may confirm suspected issues, allowing
companies to address them. After all, that's what these processes are
for.