A new look for LANDIS-II (while waiting for a proper GUI)

Klemet

Sep 20, 2021, 6:27:42 AM9/20/21
to LANDIS-II Users
As a Windows user, are you tired of seeing your LANDIS-II scenarios run into a black and white, drab console ?

Do you want a nicer style, or a more customizable interface ?

LANDIS-IIpretty.png

Then let me share with you the Windows Terminal ! It's an app developed by Microsoft and available for free. It allows you to open Command Prompts, Windows Powershells, Ubuntu consoles (if you've installed the Linux Subsystem for Windows) or others. Each terminal is in a tab, and each is customizable.

In particular, you can use custom fonts (I use Fira Code myself), apply the nice "retro aesthetic" of an old cathodic screen (see the screenshot), put a background, etc.

You can also edit the windows register to open .bat files with the windows terminal by default. See this link for more information. If you do, don't forget to edit the starting directory for command prompts in the Windows terminal (see this link) !

I hope that this will give to some of you a nice interface to look out while waiting for your virtual landscapes to cook.