A new extension for LANDIS-II : Magic Harvest !

Klemet

Mar 9, 2022, 9:56:08 AM3/9/22
to LANDIS-II Users
Hello, everybody !

I just wanted to present a new extension for LANDIS-II that I've just made, called Magic Harvest.

The goal of this extension is to allow the use of dynamic parameters for the harvest extensions of LANDIS-II (base harvest and biomass harvest) without having to stop and restart your simulation. Therefore, it is to be used in addition to a harvest extension, and is not a replacement.

When Magic Harvest is activated at its time step, it will simply run a python script given by the user which will update the parameter files of the harvest extension used (e.g. management areas, prescriptions, implementations, etc.); then, Magic Harvest will force the harvest extension used alongside it to re-load its parameters. All of this, of course, while the simulation is running.

This is only a substitute to more complex harvest extensions that might come in the future to allow for more complex and dynamic harvesting in LANDIS-II. In essence, it can "outsource" the decisions concerning harvesting outside of LANDIS-II (and into a Python script).

I hope that it will be useful for the community. Please send me an email at clem....@pm.me if you have any question.