Specing hardware to run LANDIS simulations

matty...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2019, 9:01:04 AM4/30/19
to LANDIS-II Developers
Hi,

I'm a Systems Administrator working for a company who supports employees who use the LANDIS-II program. I've been tasked with building computers specific to running the LANDIS-II simulations. I've noticed some curious behavior, however, and i'm hoping to get some answers.

We have a 48 thread PC with 128GB of ram, and when the simulation is running, it appears only one thread is doing any work. It's also basically used all 128GB of ram for the workload. Is this typical? I almost feel like this is a single threaded app, and it's just filling all available RAM.

Can anyone provide some insight? would be nice to know if I can get it working in some type of multi threaded fashion. And if it's just single threaded, what is the optimal machine size to use?

thanks!
Matt