Google Code to GitHub Migration: Final Commits due July 9th!

Robert Scheller

Jun 29, 2015, 1:53:21 PM6/29/15
to landis-ii-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All:

Marc Ouellette has made great progress on our migration from Google Source Code to GitHub.

See the test libraries here: https://github.com/LANDIS-II-Foundation

Please download and test one or a few out. I recommend using TortoiseGit as an interface.  Overall, I think you will find this to be an improved experience with better tools for managing code.  And by breaking the totality of LANDIS-II into multiple repositories, it will be easier for me to manage.

The final migration will occur on July 10th and will take a few days to complete.  Therefore, you MUST make your FINAL commits to Google Code by COB July 9th.  You will be responsible for uploading any changes to your local copies after that time.  On July 10th, the Google Code repositories will essentially be defunct.  (I will make them read only on July 11th or soon thereafter.)

Some important notes:
* I will need to add you as Collaborators.  Let me know which repositories you want to join.
* Due to some restructuring, past history will only be available via your local copy and using Git tools (eg, TortoiseGit), not on the web sites.  The history will be there but will be accessed only via your local copies.  All future history (a paradox of sorts) will be available locally and on the web.*
* Wikis will need to be copied over separately.  If you have created/edited a Wiki, let me know.
* Issues will need to be copied over separately.  I will take care of these.
* Due to space issues, the repository will not accept executables and PDFs in the future.  We can revisit this decision in the future if necessary.

For more information on using GitHub, check out the many GitHub videos on YouTube.

Finally, thank you, Marc, for spending multiple weekends on this project!  It was a much more difficult process than we originally anticipated.

Rob

* To view past history you have to turn on Follow Renames in the history window, or “git log --follow” at the command line.

Robert Scheller

Jul 14, 2015, 1:47:08 PM7/14/15
to landis-ii-...@googlegroups.com, rmsch...@gmail.com
Dear All:

The migration has happened!  See: https://github.com/LANDIS-II-Foundation

The Google Code repository is now read-only.  I still have some work to do: moving wikis and issues.  This will take about another week but is fairly straight-forward.  I will add each of you to the appropriate repository when you send me your GitHub user name and a list of requested repositories.

Marc Ouellette recommends:

Lesley

Jul 14, 2015, 4:18:40 PM7/14/15
to landis-ii-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a blog post I wrote with links and information I compiled while learning how to use TortoiseGit with the new repositories. Hope you find it helpful.

Melissa Lucash

Jul 24, 2015, 12:24:31 PM7/24/15
to LANDIS-II Developers, lbr...@pdx.edu

I added a couple clarifications to Lesley's original blog post about cloning/pushing code and posted it here.

http://www.landis-ii.org/developers/developers-blog

Melissa