Ask land of lisp: Is this book about a certain dialect of lisp? Is it easy to learn the other dialects later?

mykolas marcinkevicius

Oct 17, 2017, 3:08:37 PM10/17/17
to Land of Lisp
I'm new to programming, but lisp sounds like the most powerful language around today. Can I use this textbook to help me learn Arc? Should I just start with a different dialect like clojure, pico, hy, etc.? Does this book cover a certain dialect or just the principles of lisp in general.

Thanks!

Edward Kenworthy

Oct 18, 2017, 11:54:11 AM10/18/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com

Personally, I wouldn’t use LoL to learn Lisp.

Specifically it uses Common Lisp.

Is it easy: yes. There are two families of programming languages: Algol (C, C++, Java etc) and Lisp (Common Lisp, Scheme, Racket, Clojure). What’s hard is learning the idioms and libraries.

Arc as far as I know is dead. It was an attempt to make Common Lisp better than just seems to have gone nowhere.

If you are new to programming and want to try a Lisp then I would go with Racket, which is a variant of Scheme (the other major Lisp besides Common Lisp).

If you go with Racket download the Dr Racket tool and follow the tutorials (under Documents). http://racket-lang.org/ There’s also a book called How to Design Programs, which uses DrRacket’s predecessor DrScheme.

If you’re beginning a computer science course consider reading the book “The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs” and following along with that using DrRacket in Scheme mode.

If you particularly want to learn Common Lisp I would get Peter Siebel’s book Practical Common Lisp and work your way through that. Be aware that Lisp in a box (which is mentioned in the book) isn’t maintained: use Portacle to develop instead.

If you want to develop on the JVM (if you don’t know what that means then pick one of the others) then try Clojure. I would read the book “Clojure for the Brave and True”.

mykm

Oct 18, 2017, 12:51:19 PM10/18/17
to Land of Lisp
Hey Ed,

Super duper helpful. Thank you so much!

Edward Kenworthy

Oct 18, 2017, 1:26:53 PM10/18/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com

Also, this is pretty much a dead list.

I would post questions to www.reddit.com/r/lisp or www.reddit.com/r/learnlisp

Sam

Nov 21, 2017, 3:46:21 PM11/21/17
to Land of Lisp
Why wouldn't you use Land of Lisp to learn lisp ?

Robert Taylor

Nov 21, 2017, 7:19:50 PM11/21/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is. The dialect is common lisp and the implementation it uses
is clisp. Some users have convereted to code to be compatible with
the sbcl implementation of common lisp as well, there is a git repo
out there somewhere with the update code.

Learning other dialects is as hard as you make it. If you like
learning, it's all the same.

Edward Kenworthy

Nov 22, 2017, 1:09:24 PM11/22/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com

Because, paraphrasing Conrad’s commentary on it, he wrote it as an Intermediate to Advanced book but his editor forced him to dumb it down to Novice level, so it’s a bit of a mish-mash.

I found it interesting but only really because it re-implemented some of my childhood games in CL.

Nov 22, 2017, 5:35:01 PM11/22/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com
That is true. Some of the concepts are actually quite challenging and
to fully understand what he is teaching you, the user needs to spend a
bunch of time exploring capabilities and permutations of what is being
taught.

It is a bit all over the place, I agree.

I also bought the book because it re-implemented my childhood games as
well. Plus, I love the fun style he write in. Conrad is quite the
character, trully enjoyed all of his contributions over the years.
> http://racket-lang.org/<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fracket-lang.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cedward.kenworthy%40outlook.com%7C10d4cf2227c5490aa3cc08d53120ed42%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636468939850311601&sdata=YsBo8h3WfwzW0YDsBebocfqTNUFao%2Fa2cznePXS%2Bs%2F8%3D&reserved=0>
> email to land-of-lisp...@googlegroups.com<javascript:>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Foptout&data=02%7C01%7Cedward.kenworthy%40outlook.com%7C10d4cf2227c5490aa3cc08d53120ed42%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636468939850311601&sdata=xnbPALj1MucEQQyrihqTjBYdTBIZ2zpOE6bBspe584s%3D&reserved=0>.

Rivka Miller

Dec 2, 2017, 2:56:39 PM12/2/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Edward Kenworthy <edward.k...@outlook.com> wrote:

Because, paraphrasing Conrad’s commentary on it, he wrote it as an Intermediate to Advanced book but his editor forced him to dumb it down to Novice level, so it’s a bit of a mish-mash.

Hard to believe. This is because the remedy is simple. After publication of the Publisher/Editor version, he can always release the original "Intermediate to Advanced" version freely on the internet as a pdf. I assume, the editor he used can export a pdf. He probably has nothing better and understands it at a "mish-mash" level himself. Also, the Adv level will promote the sales of the "dumb it down level" version, rather than compete with it, assuming he had something to offer.

Edward Kenworthy

Dec 4, 2017, 7:58:21 AM12/4/17
to land-o...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for calling me a liar.

Especially when it’s only pure laziness in your part that stopped you from fact checking before you acted like a complete git.

But at least you've given me the last nudge I needed to leave a dead list the morons have started to invade.