Re: Total programming noob is lost on Chapter 7

Nicholas Patrick

Aug 26, 2016, 9:28:58 AM8/26/16
to land-o...@googlegroups.com
The installer should have put the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.xx" path on your PATH environment variable.  If not, get to your environment variable settings and add the correct one.  Then you should be able to open a new cmd.exe window and type "dot -h".  If it finds an executable, it'll print out the usage information.
Nick

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 8:57 PM, 'Frank Lange' via Land of Lisp <land-o...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
OK, so, at the risk of being laughed out of the building I have what must be a very basic question.

How do I use graphviz? I've installed it with the latest thing from the website, but I can't find any sort of executable to start the program? The book just quickly glosses over this stuff, but I'm totally and utterly lost, which is a shame, because I felt like I was coming along nicely, even if I had to read chapters two or three times. Is this just some elementary programming stuff I don't know because I came into this literally blind? I'm using Win8, btw, if that's at all relevant.

Nicholas Patrick

Aug 26, 2016, 9:31:18 AM8/26/16
to land-o...@googlegroups.com
Also, if you kept your emacs or other editor open through the install process, then your PATH environment variable for that process may be out of date.  That would cause the typical search for an executable to fail since it won't have the graphviz binary directory (which is in the "/bin/" subdirectory).  Reopen the editor, or add the correct path with a setenv call.

Nick