Living on Earth as if We Want to Stay - Zoom discussion.

Mike Nickerson

Sep 19, 2021, 10:20:06 AM9/19/21
to Mike Nickerson
Greetings:

We can’t solve problems with the same thinking that created them; Einstein advised.

Many of you know that I’ve spent decades collecting stories about alternative ways of aligning the human project with the life-supporting processes of the Earth.

On Wednesday, September 22nd, at 1:30 pm Ottawa time, I will be sharing many of the stories about life, money and illusion, and inviting discussion.

If you would like to join us, log into Zoom at:

Hope to see you there.

Yours, Mike N.

With the human family pressing against planetary limits, perpetual growth is no longer a viable goal.

Mike Nickerson, author of “Life, Money & Illusion”, explains how our changed relationships with the Earth requires a different approach to mutual provision (the economy).

He describes time tested biological processes and how re-integrating with them can secure long-term well-being.

Children grow; adults, not so much.  The human family has reached physical maturity and, as with individual maturity, accepting responsibility for our strength is accompanied by the vast opportunities of adult life.

By adapting society’s economic metabolism to our new situation, many problems can be solved.  Humans are capable of great things.  Join us for a look at how a shared vision of the new goal can lead to a sustainable future.

————————

To secure the future, we need to reduce resource exploitation and pollution by reducing consumption.

Belt tightening, however, lacks broad appeal.

Pointing out what we can reclaim works better: more time for relationships, appreciation, service, sport, creativity, learning and the like.  Such life-based activities can be represented by the single word, “fun”, because their effects are uplifting for those engaged.

The direction toward a sustainable world can then be expressed in a four syllable meme:

More Fun, Less Stuff

Such a meme can nudge past the narrative of earn, spend and grow, grow, grow.

Getting from Here to There
www.sustainwellbeing.net/Getting-From-Here-to-There.html