LEV News - Spring is (almost) here at LEV.

Mike Nickerson

Apr 14, 2019, 8:04:08 AM4/14/19
to lanarkec...@googlegroups.com
Greetings:

May the warming weather finds you well.

This note contains:
- An invite to join us this Season.
- Pictures from the Winter.
- Links to a vision for a societal shift.
- Offer of Dwarf Apple Tree rootstock.

We’d like to see you this Season.
As the snow makes its final exit, there is much planned here at LEV.  The article copied below from Ottawa's Peace and Environment News tells the tale.  As a friend of LEV, you have first dibs on this year’s activities.  Let us know if any part of the plans outlined below are of particular interest.

Pictures from the Winter
Many faces of our garden pond are revealed at:

A Societal Shift toTransform our World
It has been a long time since I’ve been as excited about a book.  In Sacred Economics by Charles Eisenstein, a vision is stimulated for how we can shift our world from one that exploits our planet to one that cherishes and enriches it.  After describing the advancing catalyst for change, the book includes ways of shifting the economic system from one that exploits natural resources, people and culture, to one which anchors the value of exchange in the viability of resources, ecosystems and communities.

I borrowed a copy from the local library.

The entire text is available free on-line at:

In particular, these chapters thrilled me:
and

I’m still reading it eagerly.

Apple Trees - Dwarf rootstock
When I went to buy a dozen young apple trees, I found it cost only a bit more to get a bundle of 25.

The BUD 9 Rootstock grows trees 8 - 11 ft. in height.  They are ready for grafting.

I will part with half the bundle for $10 each.

We leave you with the PEN article inviting you to join us for a while as the year progresses.

Best wishes,
 Mike & Claire

Lanark Eco-Village – Pioneering Sustainability

Imagine integrating your life directly with the cycles of water, air and soil.  Further, picture living in buildings that capture sunshine in the Winter and keep things cool in the Summer.  Add a measure of community and you have an Eco-Village.

Lanark Eco-Village exists to realize this vision and to cooperate with others building such communities in other places.  Located about an hour from Ottawa, we invite participation in this Summer’s activities.

Perhaps you would be interested in joining us, when the season is appropriate, to help with and learn about: Firewood management, organic gardening, food preservation, trees to boards to building techniques, some masonry, solar tech and landscaping for more camping spots and for water management.  (Evening conversation can cover topics related to sustainability, ecology - including full-cycle nutrient management, alternative monetary systems, resilience, cultural evolution and a bit of magic if you stay for a while.)  Some topics at: http://www.SustainWellBeing.net

The stage set here includes a 9000-square-foot garden, an expanding orchard, a couple of small fields and 120 acres of woodland, more than a third of which is provincially significant wetland.  Along with lots of camping spaces, we have a house, a woodworking shop, a couple of trailers and a yurt.

Notable as well, is a large Summer Kitchen with a cooking grill and bake-oven.  This is where we will be preparing food.  Along with the cooking area is a large covered eating and meeting space.  You can see it at various stages of its construction at:
The Summer Kitchen is dedicated to exchanging plans and views about how we might accomplish the shift from humanity’s long childhood and adolescent growth phase to a mature stable state.

Today’s economy is stressing the Earth.  It cannot double its size and double again and again as convention requires.  Join us in exploring ways to minimize human impacts and maximize wellbeing – more fun and less stuff – a world that is fair enough that people will cooperate and enlightened enough to maintain the health of the planet we depend on.

To be honest, we are a long way from realizing this ideal.  Nevertheless, it is the vision we aim for.  The more steps taken in this direction, the further we can see to picture next steps.  Think of it as living theatre.  The more we create, the more evocative the stage becomes and the easier it will be to advance the conversation and contribute to the transformation.

Projects for 2019
This Summer, when the garden is planted and the firewood is in the shed drying, we aim to build a greenhouse to be heated by a sauna when the door is open and finish the construction of a water reservoir that we can swim in when it is hot.  The plan is to pile the excavated material up a hillside to make a long smooth toboggan/ski run down the hill and across the pond.  (There is also a rumour about installing a zip line for rapid entry to the pond.)  We also have an excavation awaiting the construction of a root cellar, tho we may not get that far this year.

If you would like to help with any part of this endeavour please contact us at:
We can also put you on our Announcements List.  You may want to join us for a gathering and have a look around.

Picture essays, articles and design criteria are linked at:

-  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -

"This could be our revolution:

To love what is plentiful
as much as what is scarce."

Alice Walker

-  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -  +  -

7th Generation Initiative / Sustainability Project

Eco-Village project

Please let me know if you would like to be removed from this making list.

Larraine Roulston

Apr 14, 2019, 9:44:34 AM4/14/19
to lanarkec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike. Thanks for your updates. Glad all is going well for you.  If you haven't heard about Greta - youth activist - here is the link from Green-mom.com for you to share.  I must do another article on your lovely place again.

For anyones interest here is my timely one one greening Easter baskets.

Best, Larraine

Larraine Roulston
Environmental Freelance writer
www.castlecompost.com

Mike Nickerson

Apr 26, 2019, 12:52:38 AM4/26/19
to lanarkec...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, we have heard Greta speak at a couple of forums.

Perhaps she has shocked some action forward.

Over a thousand people were arrested in protests in London England.  Extinction Rebellion is making waves and is dedicated to rocking the boat in any non-violent way possible.

Keep beating the drum !

Yours, Mike N.