New to 3D Printing. Prints don't start or else they stop halfway.

DH Maui

Feb 19, 2014, 3:43:49 PM2/19/14
to lamak...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I just bought a Replicator 2 and am having printing my 3D files. While the Makerware viewer shows my designs perfectly, once I hit "Make It", the extruder head either runs like it's printing but no PLA is coming out, or else, it prints my design halfway and continues with no PLA coming out. I'm having different issues using the same commands and am now wondering if it's the machine. However, as I'm new to 3D printing, I don't have enough experience to know if the problem is in my files or in the hardware.
I would appreciate any help, mentoring, support. Thanks.

PS: I've attached a short video showing how the PLA stops coming out of the extruder head halfway through the print. You can see the first half is printing fine, but then the extruder keeps acting like it's still printing, but nothing is coming out.
IMG_0295.MOV

Steven Cypherd

Feb 21, 2014, 12:58:57 PM2/21/14
to lamak...@googlegroups.com
The machines are more complicated than what it looks like. Read the setup instructions and follow each step carefully. Follow the setup instructions for printing an object. Follow the videos on Youtube.com Makerbot channel.
I wish I had a printer.
Steve

DH Maui

Mar 28, 2014, 7:21:10 PM3/28/14
to lamak...@googlegroups.com
Well I found the problem after 3 months of trouble shooting. My brand new machine had a faulty Bar Mount assembly, and when I opened it up to replace the part, I found that half of the bolts inside were only finger tightened, causing my prints to shift! No manual or set up instructions could have prepared me for this!