boat recs

John D. Buecking

Nov 12, 2022, 10:10:56 AM11/12/22
to lake-geor...@googlegroups.com
       We're down in coastal Carolina and looking for a solid sailing craft.   There are no Jays down here, what are some of the better names in sound/lake sailers?    Cat?   C&C?  Hunter?  Other available names are Morgan, Beneteau, San Juan, Ericson, Pearson, Irwin.   Purpose is racing/cruising.   Thanks.

John Carr

Nov 12, 2022, 12:22:32 PM11/12/22
to John D. Buecking, lake-george-sailing
John

What size boat are you looking for? For Lake George? Wednesday night racing?

John

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022, 10:10 AM John D. Buecking <jbue...@hotmail.com> wrote:
       We're down in coastal Carolina and looking for a solid sailing craft.   There are no Jays down here, what are some of the better names in sound/lake sailers?    Cat?   C&C?  Hunter?  Other available names are Morgan, Beneteau, San Juan, Ericson, Pearson, Irwin.   Purpose is racing/cruising.   Thanks.

To join this list, visit:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lake-george-sailing/join

Contact list manager Spencer Raggio with questions/problems: sra...@gmail.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lake George Sailing" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lake-george-sailing/CY4PR02MB2213DBF8EAA6CDFC118C7D13BF039%40CY4PR02MB2213.namprd02.prod.outlook.com.

John D. Buecking

Nov 12, 2022, 12:33:26 PM11/12/22
to lake-geor...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John D. Buecking" <jbue...@hotmail.com>
Date: November 12, 2022 at 12:32:02 PM EST
To: John Carr <johnca...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LG-List] boat recs

      Size, as they say , doesn’t matter.  I’m looking for names that have good bones so I can cull out some from the local ads.

Sent from my iPhone

John D. Buecking

Nov 12, 2022, 12:50:03 PM11/12/22
to Skip Parry, lake-geor...@googlegroups.com

John D. Buecking

Nov 12, 2022, 1:04:48 PM11/12/22
to John Carr, lake-geor...@googlegroups.com
Fine information, with thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2022, at 12:58 PM, John Carr <johnca...@gmail.com> wrote:

John

 C&C 110 is a very good boat has a hard time in phrf races but we'll build Canadian boat

Beneteau First:
40.7 Great bang for the Buck. Excellent layout. Quite a few of them are for sale in the Great lakes area
27.7 Great pocket racer a little bit too small for cruising but nicely laid out boat.
36 very fast

Hunters Great bang for the buck but not necessarily competitive racers. Some of their early '90s boats were very good sailors.

Morgan beautiful boats Built more for cruising.

San Juan not very fast but can do okay. Handicapped

I don't know if any of this is useful at all. It's such a big category. The issue with like George if that's the lake you're sailing on. Is that over 30 ft and any kind of draft gets hard to deal with.

John D. Buecking

Nov 12, 2022, 3:45:57 PM11/12/22
to Skip Parry, lake-geor...@googlegroups.com
   Here in coastal Carolina we’ll be on the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound.  I raced a J 24 on Lake George years ago and our local sailing club has no fleet, just a bunch of plastic running around.

    To be continued.

Sent from my iPhoneas

On Nov 12, 2022, at 2:33 PM, Skip Parry <skis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pretty much every sailing vessel has a competitive rating. Dinghies unless racing one design as their own fleet or class are rated to compete different classes against one another via Portsmouth Yardstick. Larger craft race PHRF or Performance Handicap Rating Fleet. Ideally if you can find a local club where a fleet of the same boats race “one design” then you only have to manage your performance “boat for boat” meaning you place as finished. In PHRF each boat is given numerical rating which is factored based upon the distance of the race. The higher your rating typically the higher your handicap much like golf. If your boat rates 150 and your competition rates 125, they have to give you 25 seconds per mile factored against overall elapsed time and the time of the first boat to cross the line. It’s a great way for various boats to compete and often there are trophy’s for boat for boat finishes as well as finishes based upon rating to give everyone something to shoot for so to speak.

A couple of applicable articles:

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 2:16 PM John D. Buecking <jbue...@hotmail.com> wrote:
What does “sail to its rating” mean?

Sent from my iPhone