[Daily] Analytics tools and examples

George Siemens

Feb 2, 2011, 11:56:59 AM2/2/11
to LA...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm at the Strata Conference this week. The sold out conference runs under the motto of "making data work" - an indication of the growing relevance of analytics and data science are in today's world. Analytics sit at the overlap points of statistics, data mining, machine learning, and network and complexity theory. As the opening keynote stated "we're onto something big, but I don't think we realize just how big".

Needless to say, there are significant overlaps with the discussions we've been having in LAK11 (the open course) and will have in LAK11 (the conference). I'll post a few reflective thoughts on the Strata Conference over the next few days...and why education doesn't seem to be represented here.

Tanya has kicked off a discussion asking for feedback on analytics tools and uses: http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=16519 . Please contribute your favorite tools/examples.

A few references from last week:
The web as database? http://bit.ly/dPMx6f
Semantic web and linked data: http://bit.ly/ifpKKY