Refurbish laptop

Raymond Camden

Mar 28, 2011, 11:02:43 AM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
I've got a buddy who is looking for a place to help him refurbish a
laptop. Any ideas? I don't want to send him to BestBuy or anything
like that. Doghouse perhaps?

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master

Email    : r...@camdenfamily.com
Blog      : www.coldfusionjedi.com
AOL IM : cfjedimaster

Keep up to date with Android news: http://www.androidgator.com

Bryan Fuselier

Mar 28, 2011, 12:20:04 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
Doghouse would have the most options in stock if any. There really isn't much to them. If he's careful enough, he could get all his parts from NewEgg and do it himself.

David Belgard

Mar 28, 2011, 11:51:52 AM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
doghouse can be an option, i can do it personally. when you say
refurbish, do you mean fresh os install? ram upgrade? hard drive
replacement?

Sent from my iPhone

Raymond Camden

Mar 28, 2011, 12:51:12 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
No idea on what he wants. Just pinged him via SMS to try to figure out.

Raymond Camden

Mar 28, 2011, 2:12:14 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
Well he just said he figured it out himself. Sorry for the noise all.

Tim Fournet

Mar 28, 2011, 3:34:10 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
If anyone does have a recommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. My
parents have a laptop that needs a soldering job done on the power
connector. I don't have the patience with flimsy, snapped-together
plastic to touch it

Ryan LeTulle

Mar 28, 2011, 3:35:40 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
I have at least 1 that needs the same soldering job :) as well

Ryan LeTulle

bayousoft -twitter

Bryan Fuselier

Mar 28, 2011, 3:43:24 PM3/28/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
Doghouse has a guy that does soldering on mobos

John Cuccia

Apr 5, 2011, 12:57:31 PM4/5/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
I can vouch for Doghouse.  They've done solder repairs to systems for me.

Domu

Apr 6, 2011, 9:48:10 AM4/6/11
to Lafayette Technology
After you've sorted the solder repair please consider fitting a
LapTug, for c.$3 it greatly reduces the risk of the problem recurring
by using the network or modem port on the laptop as an additional
anchor point for the power lead, so that pulls on the cable don't
transmit through to the power socket.

I've lost too many laptops this way so we came up with this solution.
Sorry for the advert but I really think it can help. For more info
search eBay or visit http://www.laptug.co.uk/lt

On Apr 5, 5:57 pm, John Cuccia <li...@johncuccia.com> wrote:
> I can vouch for Doghouse.  They've done solder repairs to systems for me.
>
> On 3/28/2011 2:43 PM, Bryan Fuselier wrote:
>

> > Doghouse has a guy that does soldering on mobos
>
> > On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Ryan LeTulle <bayous...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:bayous...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     I have at least 1 that needs the same soldering job :) as well
> >     *
> >     *
> >     *
> >     Ryan LeTulle*
>
> >     > bayousoft <http://twitter.com/bayousoft> -twitter
>
> >     On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Tim Fournet <tfour...@tfour.net
> >     <mailto:tfour...@tfour.net>> wrote:
>
> >         If anyone does have a recommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. My
> >         parents have a laptop that needs a soldering job done on the power
> >         connector. I don't have the patience with flimsy, snapped-together
> >         plastic to touch it
>
> >         On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Raymond Camden
> >         <rcam...@gmail.com <mailto:rcam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         > Well he just said he figured it out himself. Sorry for the
> >         noise all.
>
> >         > On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Raymond Camden
> >         <rcam...@gmail.com <mailto:rcam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         >> No idea on what he wants. Just pinged him via SMS to try to
> >         figure out.
>
> >         > --
> >         > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> >         Google Groups "Lafayette Technology" group.
> >         > To post to this group, send email to
> >         lafaye...@googlegroups.com
> >         <mailto:lafaye...@googlegroups.com>.
> >         > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >         lafayettetec...@googlegroups.com
> >         <mailto:lafayettetech%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> >         > For more options, visit this group at
> >        http://groups.google.com/group/lafayettetech?hl=en.
>
> >         --
> >         For more options, visit this group at
> >        http://groups.google.com/group/lafayettetech?hl=en.

Ryan LeTulle

Apr 6, 2011, 10:15:09 AM4/6/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com, Domu
interesting

Ryan LeTulle

bayousoft -twitter

Paul

Aug 17, 2011, 11:52:24 AM8/17/11
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com, Domu, bayo...@gmail.com
If anybody still has any laptops they need refreshed/refurbished with strongest emphasis on data transference, please let me know.  I'm like everybody else and can use a little extra work on the side here and there.  I have a TON of slightly used parts that I collect like the tech pack rat I am (proudly), so if you have a few bings or bumps on it, maybe no need to go the whole find what you need on pricewatch.com, wait a week for snail-level ups to get it to you, then get it replaced.
Since it'll be side (hobby) work, I will work something out with you on rates that we could both live with and be happy with.  Flexible, in other words.... to a point.  ;)

(P.S.   ....and, NO, I hate spamming type forum posts too, but this thread obviously seeks out service of which I can easily and willingly (for a modest fee) provide.... SMILE)

Paul Scallan, Jr., MCSA, SCP
SCALLAN SOLUTIONS