Binding OpenVPN to single NIC

CyberCowboy

Oct 7, 2019, 2:00:53 PM10/7/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group

I’m trying to help a friend who’s running Fedora 27.

This is going to get a bit complex so please bear with me.

He has a plex server he uses for hosting movies and stuff for family, however he also uses this ‘server’ to connect via VPN to his office as a remote backup. However when the VPN connects, Plex drops off-line (Since ports and such aren’t open on office end).

This system has 2 NIC (eno1: 192.168.1.25) and (eno2:192.168.1.28). Right now EVERYTHING flows through eno1. I’d like to setup OpenVPN to ONLY bind to eno2, and have the backup software just bind to the IP address he gets from the VPN server (That part I know how to do).

The above would all be fairly easy with route tables, I think. HOWEVER he also needs to occasionally do internet searches that go through the VPN for logging and accountability of what’s being searched. ON the software side I know how to lock a browser to a NIC, but I don’t know how to set up route tables so internet is accessible with both NIC but the 2nd only if specified.

I’ve not seen anything exactly like this with extensive googling. Usually it’s just if I want to hit the lan or anything.

Matthew - Orange Computer

Oct 14, 2019, 1:32:50 PM10/14/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Looks like you've stumped us, Bryan. I haven't done any network setup even close to this kind of thing.

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

Jordan Waughtal

Oct 14, 2019, 10:43:04 PM10/14/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the logs? Why does Plex crash?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/ccf27653-e9f7-410f-a1a1-75848a9c5ded%40googlegroups.com.

Wiedenfeld, Scot

Oct 14, 2019, 10:43:04 PM10/14/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com

I hate to suggest a solution without having tested it, but your issue sounds an awful lot like a job for “policy routing”. Fedora27 should have the iproute2 utilities.

https://kindlund.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/configuring-multiple-default-routes-in-linux/

----------------------

Scot Wiedenfeld

wiede...@westerntc.edu

608-785-9293

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Western Technical College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.

bja...@jamesgang.dyndns.org

Oct 15, 2019, 9:15:49 AM10/15/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
This was the exact solution (and actually the exact website) I needed,
thanks.