Linux Meetup next Thursday evening

Matthew - Orange Computer

Jul 12, 2019, 1:56:23 PM7/12/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Hey Linux Folks,

The Linux User Group meeting is schedule for next Thursday evening. It's likely we'll have a short followup presentation by Phil on FSLint

Does anyone else have a suggestion or want to volunteer for a longer presentation?

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

Tim Pangburn

Jul 15, 2019, 1:05:43 PM7/15/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
So, after last month's meeting I put together an outline for a presentation on "Containers with Docker for the Hobbyist".  I was looking for a way to introduce containers and their use with Docker. This is a jump off point to allow a person to start with containers, specifically using Docker,
Here is what I was thinking of covering....
  • What is a container.
  • Why use containers
  • When to avoid containers
  • Containers vs Virtual Machines
  • You may be using a container already (and not know it)
  • Why Docker
  • Installing Docker
  • Common Docker commands
  • Docker best practices
  • Docker Hub
  • Using Docker to build you own container
I could get this together for Thursday and present this.

Tim

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/cadcff85-1f98-4136-aaaa-a2e254bf4c23%40googlegroups.com.

_______________________________
Tim Pangburn
519 9th Ave. S.
Onalaska WI 54650
Ph. 608-781-2388

John E. Conlon

Jul 15, 2019, 3:52:58 PM7/15/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
1+

{ name     : "John Conlon",
  title    : "Principal Consultant",
  phone    : "(608)620-4938 x100",
  cell     : "(608)620-8867",
  email    : "jco...@verticon.com",
  gmail    : "jcon...@gmail.com",
  web   : "http://www.verticon.com" }

Matthew - Orange Computer

Jul 16, 2019, 7:03:29 PM7/16/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
That's sounds good to me, Tim. Looking forward to it!

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

Michael J White

Jul 17, 2019, 7:29:31 AM7/17/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good to me.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/f8c01cc0-8e4d-4bdd-b379-4da60eb934be%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Midthun

Jul 18, 2019, 11:53:05 AM7/18/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Is the meeting above the Co-op as usual?  Thanks.

Mark Midthun

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:56 PM Matthew - Orange Computer <in...@orangecomputerlax.com> wrote:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.

John E. Conlon

Aug 13, 2019, 6:01:01 PM8/13/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
So do any of 'us' Llug-'Nuts' have ideas for topics to discuss for
Thursday?  If we are not tired of Docker I could do a functional review
and simplified introduction to the why and how of it all with a
practical example.

A. Overview of a dev infrastructure coupled with a continuous
integration (CI) devOps pipeline for building a IoT gateway as a docker
image.

    1) Dockerfile fundementals

    2) Example Eclipse -> Java->Jar->Amazon S3(AKA - AN OBJECT
STORE!)->Amazon Lamda->GitLab-CI->GitLab Docker registry

        (Will spend little time on the first three pieces and as for
Java-phobes we can imagine substituting your choice of dev and dev
artifact in the first two steps)

B. Overview of Docker Compose

C. Docker Swarm

D. An Example Docker Compose utilizing that Docker image from A.

WDYT?

Matthew - Orange Computer