Call for Linux or open source presentations!

Matthew - Orange Computer

Feb 14, 2020, 6:47:22 PM2/14/20
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Hey everyone,

The Linux User Group meeting is on Thursday, February 20th starting at 6pm.

Call for presentations (short or long). Have you been working on project you'd like to share? Or want to present a technology or Linux distro that you've been exploring? Want to do a bash scripting demo to show off your skills?

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

whitem

Feb 15, 2020, 5:54:42 AM2/15/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to make the meeting.

Michael

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/e2d40770-4dab-4d64-b856-fa8a374d02fb%40googlegroups.com.

Matthew - Orange Computer

Feb 17, 2020, 3:03:45 PM2/17/20
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
I am also happy to present on some of the Linux things I've been up to. Want to make sure to give anyone who wants to speak the opportunity to do so, though.

Feel free to take a look at some of the recent Linux related videos I've published and let me know if you'd like more information or a live demo of any of the topics:

   -- Matthew from Orange Computer

John E. Conlon

Feb 19, 2020, 12:25:28 PM2/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
If there is an interest, I could give a talk and demo on:

A. The OpenSource multi-platform IDE VS Code
 and hold on to your seats, it is developed and offered for free by Microsoft!  I really like this IDE for developing on my Linux Ubuntu desktop.  I use it for JavaScript (node) on the server side; Javascript on the client side; Web PWAs; & Python!  It will do many more languages as well. Its easy to install and develop with.
B. General discussion of User Interface development and deployment
C. PWA introduction, why its cool and should be your target for creating user interfaces
D. Simple PWA utilizing HTML5, CSS, Javascript

John

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/9f1e6632-2729-4f9f-be94-fd8af99ebb27%40googlegroups.com.

--
{ name     : "John Conlon",
  title    : "Principal Consultant",

Michael J White

Feb 21, 2020, 8:21:10 PM2/21/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com, jco...@verticon.com, dxk...@gmail.com, Rick Lass

It was a great talk on VS Code.  I had trouble following some of it (even when we were not in the talk), but I installed it on two of my computers and will start playing with it.

I am still unclear on PWA and want to find a simpler review of that.

The attached file is one that I sat down and wrote up this afternoon, mostly while my oil was being changed at Dahl.

Feel free to point out anything that is unclear or if my numbers are wrong anywhere.

Michael

Paranoid Coronvirus Reflections.pdf

John E. Conlon

Feb 24, 2020, 1:27:45 PM2/24/20
to Michael J White, lacro...@googlegroups.com, dxk...@gmail.com, Rick Lass
Regarding PWA:  Check out this video...
Regarding Virus:  Install anti-virus protection;-(

John E. Conlon

Feb 24, 2020, 6:26:35 PM2/24/20
to Michael J White, lacro...@googlegroups.com, dxk...@gmail.com, Rick Lass

John E. Conlon

Feb 27, 2020, 12:38:50 PM2/27/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com, Tom Wheeler

David Klann

Feb 27, 2020, 12:58:29 PM2/27/20
to lclug
Hi. John,

Not sure if you meant to send this to the group or just to Tom... While my views are aligned with those in the report you link to, I'm not sure an article like that is relevant to this forum.

I mean, on the one hand, I'm glad to have read it. On the other hand, what does it have to do with Linux? On the other other hand, isn't freedom from capitalist structures what Linux is all about? What do others think?

  ~d

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 11:38 John E. Conlon <jco...@verticon.com> wrote:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.

Bob Haugen

Feb 27, 2020, 1:35:22 PM2/27/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was good that John posted it and I had not seen the
article before.

Relevance to Linux? MSFT, historically, is the anti-Linux (altho they
have been changing their tone a bit since Gates and Ballmer no longer
run the show). Close enuf for mailing list work?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/CAEbTg4D_mziF3-ny_G3%3Din2u%3DoxHOE0bEQfwiM1Aa-0QsE7HqA%40mail.gmail.com.

David Klann

Feb 27, 2020, 1:50:59 PM2/27/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com

Bob Haugen

Feb 27, 2020, 2:03:15 PM2/27/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Nah, I didn't take it as list-coppy, just raising the question. And
I'm just throwing peanuts from the gallery. Maybe other people agree
with you, and the boundaries of what's-on-topic are always debatable.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/cace5c5866c91fc6eb03e246088a7542a892df4a.camel%40gmail.com.

John E. Conlon

Feb 27, 2020, 3:06:15 PM2/27/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David for stirring the hive...'bzzzz'!

A major goal of Linux and Open Source is to make available a
collaborative model for intellectual development and advancement. Open
source movement ideals are a counter to the monopolistic approach of
using technology as a means to lock users into a financially extractive
technology matrix.

> On the other other hand, isn't freedom from
> capitalist structures what Linux is all about? What do others think?
Its not capitalistic structures, which within healthy limits work quite
well, its that Microsoft have striven for and have achieved a technical
monopoly and reduced intellectual openness.

Monopolies have negative ramifications as understood by our Anglo and
American classical economic fore-bearers, where the concentration of
capital tip the scales to self centered vs public interests.  This is
why anti-trust laws were put in place. To protect the public from lock
in, foster competition  and avoid over concentration of capital .
Unfortunately, these Anti-Trust laws were not used in the case of
Microsoft.

No one can deny that Microsoft has been allowed to become one of the
worlds largest monopolies and the concentration of capital in the hands
of its founder is undeniable. The more visible half of the problem is
what we OpenSource users/advocates have in our sights, the other half is
the topic of my link.

Thought I would provide the link to highlight the second half of the
problem with Microsoft and the Gates Foundation.  While Windows maybe a
pain in the ass, at least like, Bill Gates newer ventures, Windows while
addictive is not poisonous.

BTW - David, sorry you missed our last meeting, where I gave a talk on
Microsoft's Open Source VS Code IDE;-)

John

David Klann

Feb 27, 2020, 3:14:56 PM2/27/20