Events at Co-op canceled for remainder of March - including Linux Meeting

Matthew - Orange Computer

Mar 16, 2020, 4:46:11 PM3/16/20
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Hey Linux folks,

As you probably expected, classes and events at the People's Food Co-op have been canceled for the remainder of March. Our meeting would have been this Thursday evening.

I've been publishing quite a few Linux videos, many of them on the topic that I was planning to do a presentation on: Tiling Window Managers - specifically bspwm.

Feel free to watch those in place of the presentation I was going to make.

If you'd like, leave comments on the videos or reply here for Q and A. I'm happy to answer questions or do videos on topics you are interested in.

Thanks!

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

Pete Gruendeman

Mar 17, 2020, 10:15:01 AM3/17/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
I enjoy the in-person meetings at the co-op.  I have also benefited from on-line video lectures.  Surely us linux types can set up and enjoy webex or other on-line meetings.  I recall that we demo-ed several such products a few years ago.  I would set aside the third Thursday of every month to hang out for two hours and talk linux, and continue to get answers to my questions.
Can we do this?
Pete Gruendeman

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Mar 17, 2020, 10:31:17 AM3/17/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com

Michael White

Mar 17, 2020, 10:48:46 AM3/17/20
to Pete Gruendeman' via La Crosse Linux Users Group
We should look at Zoom.  I have a Zoom pro-account.

Michael

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 09:15, Pete Gruendeman' via La Crosse Linux Users Group <lacro...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I enjoy the in-person meetings at the co-op.  I have also benefited from on-line video lectures.  Surely us linux types can set up and enjoy webex or other on-line meetings.  I recall that we demo-ed several such products a few years ago.  I would set aside the third Thursday of every month to hang out for two hours and talk linux, and continue to get answers to my questions.
Can we do this?
Pete Gruendeman

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

†††††††Original Message ††††††â€

Bob Haugen

Mar 17, 2020, 10:57:29 AM3/17/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Zoom is better than Jitsi.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/c80633037236c37cef99fc24ff1cf516%40webmail.datayard.us.

John E. Conlon

Mar 17, 2020, 1:02:21 PM3/17/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
+1
--
{ name : "John Conlon",
title : "Principal Consultant",

Bob Haugen

Mar 19, 2020, 9:54:17 AM3/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Another possibility, also open source like jitsi, but claiming to handle large-scale events:

David Klann

Mar 19, 2020, 10:01:25 AM3/19/20
to Bob Haugen, lacro...@googlegroups.com

Bob Haugen

Mar 19, 2020, 10:12:48 AM3/19/20
to David Klann, lacro...@googlegroups.com
> Anyone else interested?

I'm in.

Pete Gruendeman

Mar 19, 2020, 10:14:52 AM3/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Pete Gruendeman is interested.  Lemme know if I need anything more than a browser to participate.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Mar 19, 2020, 11:22:32 AM3/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com, Bob Haugen, lacro...@googlegroups.com
I am interested, but unable to attend this particular meeting.  I actually need to attend a County Board of Supervisors meeting at the County Office building this evening .... will sit in the back and practice social distancing.

Ben Hansen

Mar 19, 2020, 11:37:29 AM3/19/20
to LCLUG, Bob Haugen
I would be interested in attending a meeting, I have zoom loaded. I cant usually attend because a class I teach in Viroqua ends just at 7 PM Thursdays.
Class is cancelled....
Ben Hansen

Bob Haugen

Mar 19, 2020, 12:11:51 PM3/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
I have an online meeting at noon for maybe 3 hours, so maybe any time after 4pm today for me.

Matthew - Orange Computer

Mar 19, 2020, 6:28:20 PM3/19/20
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
I'm interested in the "unhangout" thing. David, let us know if you get it working. I'm available for testing if needed. Feel free to email me.

  -- Matthew from Orange Computer

> > an email to lacro...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/b10819ec-bd87-46d3-88b0-580ab8a8baff%40googlegroups.com
> > .
> > >

> > > --
> > > --
> >
> > lacrosselug...@googlegroups.com
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/lacrosselug?hl=en
> > >
> > > ---
> >
> > Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
> >
> > an email to lacro...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/ZUqiyrKaRWYbSu9R6MW-PQ4A2PrOmgR-KCVVEcAPiw0NPVn6Ypt_7HcUsqFZNKbmkPFmUa9gxZQU5PrCH5_7jpcgeQTcnlcT3vFe_5JefwQ%3D%40protonmail.com
> > .
> > >
> > > --
> > > --
> >
> > lacrosselug...@googlegroups.com
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/lacrosselug?hl=en
> > >
> > > ---
> >
> > Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
> >
> > an email to lacro...@googlegroups.com.

David Klann

Mar 19, 2020, 6:32:08 PM3/19/20
to Matthew - Orange Computer, La Crosse Linux Users Group

Oh. Sorry. I got busy with work things. It's been amazingly busy this week!

Only you Bob H, Pete, and Ben H replied affirmatively, so I did not pursue it.
Wanna hang out on Zoom? Something else? We could also do a group Wire chat. Or
Keybase, or discord ... Lots of options. Oh unhangout I think has a service
too.

~David

On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 15:28 -0700, Matthew - Orange Computer wrote:
> I'm interested in the "unhangout" thing. David, let us know if you get it
> working. I'm available for testing if needed. Feel free to email me.
>
> https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/about/
>
> -- Matthew from Orange Computer
>

> On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 9:01:25 AM UTC-5, dklann wrote:

> > Huh. Looks interesting Bob; thanks for posting.
> >
> > They've even got an extensive Ansible setup for deploying one's own
> > server.
> >
> > If anybody's interested in joining a video meetup I'd be willing to spin
> > this
> > up on a public-facing server? Anyone else interested?
> >
> > ~David
> >
> > On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 08:54 -0500, Bob Haugen wrote:
> > > Another possibility, also open source like jitsi, but claiming to
> > > handle
> > > large-scale events:
> > > https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/about/

> > <javascript:>>
> > <javascript:>

> > send

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/b10819ec-bd87-46d3-88b0-580ab8a8baff%40googlegroups.com

> > Crosse

> > <javascript:>

> > send

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/ZUqiyrKaRWYbSu9R6MW-PQ4A2PrOmgR-KCVVEcAPiw0NPVn6Ypt_7HcUsqFZNKbmkPFmUa9gxZQU5PrCH5_7jpcgeQTcnlcT3vFe_5JefwQ%3D%40protonmail.com

> > Crosse

> > <javascript:>

> > send

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/c80633037236c37cef99fc24ff1cf516%40webmail.datayard.us

> > > --

Bob Haugen

Mar 19, 2020, 6:37:59 PM3/19/20
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Looks like they do have a service that could be spun up:

I haven't signed up and tried it, though.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/c21d4109abbd4687ab957843d3da35c33e5c1f53.camel%40gmail.com.

David Klann

Mar 19, 2020, 6:57:40 PM3/19/20
to Bob Haugen, lacro...@googlegroups.com