looking for a rolodex and/or POS app

Ed

Dec 28, 2018, 10:34:36 AM12/28/18
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
The title says most of it.

I'm looking for a Point Of Sale app that is not cloud based and of
course runs on Linux, preferably the Mint distro. Lots of apps that use
the cloud for everything and most seem to use a proprietary format.

Also looking for a Rolodex type phone directory. So many contacts are
cell based only now so no longer in the phone book , again not cloud based.

Maybe have to set up a database?

Ed.

David Klann

Dec 28, 2018, 11:33:12 AM12/28/18
to Ed, lacro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ed,

Do you want to avoid the "cloud" because you have poor or intermittent
net access? Or just because you don't want to want to trade the
convenience for your data?

If the former, I can highly recommend using Nextcloud, which can be "in
the cloud", but on a server *you* control. You can also install it on a
spare computer lying around your shop. It has a "Contacts" plugin that
can sync with a smartphone, but you don't have to sync it if you don't
want to (requires a DAV (distributed authoring and versioning) app such
as "DAVdroid" on your phone). My experience with Nextcloud is 98%
positive: the only 2% negative is probably from the old Owncloud days
when upgrades didn't go as smoothly as they do now. I've upgraded
(incrementally) from Nextcloud 9 through the current Nextcloud 15 with
Zero hiccups.

(Not to hijack this thread, but I'm currently struggling to get the
Collabora shared document editing working on my nextcloud instance. If
anyone has clues to get it working I'd be very thankful!)

I have no experience with POS apps.
signature.asc

Ed

Dec 29, 2018, 9:12:57 AM12/29/18
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
On 12/28/18 10:33 AM, David Klann wrote:
> Hey Ed,
>
> Do you want to avoid the "cloud" because you have poor or intermittent
> net access? Or just because you don't want to want to trade the
> convenience for your data?

My needs are light, storage is cheap, and I stay in one spot so I
figured to keep it local.

> If the former, I can highly recommend using Nextcloud, which can be "in
> the cloud", but on a server *you* control. You can also install it on a
> spare computer lying around your shop. It has a "Contacts" plugin that
> can sync with a smartphone, but you don't have to sync it if you don't
> want to (requires a DAV (distributed authoring and versioning) app such
> as "DAVdroid" on your phone). My experience with Nextcloud is 98%
> positive: the only 2% negative is probably from the old Owncloud days
> when upgrades didn't go as smoothly as they do now. I've upgraded
> (incrementally) from Nextcloud 9 through the current Nextcloud 15 with
> Zero hiccups.

Being on the go like you it  would seem best to use a cloud where it
could be accessed from any place with a smart phone.

Thanks, Ed.

Jon

Oct 19, 2019, 10:26:47 PM10/19/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Hello Ed, Tryton meets (well exceeds actually) all your posted needs.  It is client server based, and is also modular depending on what functionality you require of it.  I've not used it though so can't personally vouch for it.  Anyway, it is already in many Linux Distro repositories; including Linux Mint 19.x (I just checked).  What I did not find are any alternatives which cover all of billing/invoicing, inventory, contacts, etc. in one package.  There are other programs out there for invoicing etc., but are often one trick ponies.

David Klann

Oct 19, 2019, 11:13:31 PM10/19/19
to Jon, La Crosse Linux Users Group
Here's a review of the "business accounting" aspects of Tryton. Note that this
review happened a couple years ago, so things may have changed since then.

https://lwn.net/Articles/740733/

~David

On Sat, 2019-10-19 at 18:50 -0700, Jon wrote:
> Hello Ed, Tryton <http://www.tryton.org/> meets (well exceeds actually) all
signature.asc

Jon

Oct 20, 2019, 3:57:44 PM10/20/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Ed, all:

I just took a look at that.  The article is from almost 2 years ago, but if things haven't improved substantially it sounds to me like maybe it's more headache than it's worth. YMMV.

It might be worth looking at these web sites for consideration:

Matthew - Orange Computer

Oct 22, 2019, 6:27:26 PM10/22/19
to La Crosse Linux Users Group
Hi Ed,

I really am liking NextCloud and the contacts feature would meet your needs.

For point of sale, I use a custom web based application that my brother wrote years ago as a school project. I keep on using it, even though I should replace it with something else. It meets my simple needs for printing out monthly gross income and keeping track of and printing receipts. Are your Point Of Sale needs similar to mine or is there a specific feature that you are needing?

Even though I do almost all of my work from on location, like you do, I like that NextCloud and my custom Point Of Sale are web based. This means that I can easily access them from any of the computers on my network without having to install any software or special configuration (though NextCloud can have an installed software client that gives some extra integrations).

 -- Matthew from Orange Computer

Ed Fanta

Oct 26, 2019, 5:33:41 PM10/26/19
to lacro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the reply's! Tryton looks to much more big business than one guy shop. Mostly this would be to track inventory and print out receipts, it does not need full accounting and such John Conlan off line mentioned an app that might work well.As I find out more I will report back.

Ed.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "La Crosse Linux Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lacrosselug/c5611e25-7ee9-4fbe-bac1-343cebeb5669%40googlegroups.com.