field trip for 11/1; e2 final due date extended until 11/8

1 view

Oct 29, 2008, 8:44:27 AM10/29/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
Good news! Field trip scheduled for 11/1

More good news! Essay 2 final draft due date extended until 11/8

Serious news! Don’t forget, attendance in class is mandatory. Most
semesters around the essay 2 due date, students seem to need a
reminder. Yes, we scheduled individual conferences on 10/25, and you
could work independently in the library otherwise. Yes, we’re having a
field trip on 11/1, and you can go directly from home to an event
without coming to campus. But, attendance in class is mandatory, and
students have already been dropped for missing too much class. The
rest of the weeks will go faster than the calendar might suggest.
Please keep up your attendance, and don’t lose out on all your hard
work by being dropped.

Field trip for 11/1
As discussed in class briefly, 11/1 has been tentatively scheduled for
a field trip since the beginning of the term, but the decision was
pending, based on class needs, availability of suitable events, and
other factors. Most semesters, this course has a field trip that lists
several free events around the city related to the themes of the
course. Since there are two classes involved, comprised of both on-
campus students and online students, the field trip is usually a menu
of choices taking place at different times and locations throughout
the day rather than the let’s-all-go-together-on-the-subway-to-one-
place-and-then-come-back-together style. I will come to campus with
copies of these same notes with last minute updates then leave from
here about 9:10, but all the information will be on the course website
as well.

Students may travel independently, and groups of students and friends
are encouraged to carpool. I will probably go to Pasadena to work on
one of the campaigns then head downtown for the Dia de los Muertos
events. I hope our teen will be accompanying me, but I should also
have a couple seats available, at least outbound. If a couple students
would like a ride from campus to either downtown or Pasadena, that
would be easy. Coming back before the end of class time at noon might
be more difficult, but we could discuss it.

Choose from among the events those that seem most interesting or most
related to your essays 2 and 3. Use the field trip as your research
for the week, and prepare a brief report in the same fashion we’ve
been using: one thing you liked, one thing you didn’t like, and one
thing you didn’t understand. See the notes on field research and APA
guidelines on research with human subjects in the notes on preparing
essay 2, and don’t forget your camera. Please add posts of any
additional interesting free events related to the course, especially
Saturday morning events, but other times as well.

Field trip schedule of events

Volunteer for a campaign for a hands-on view of the political process,
and talk to some of your fellow city residents about our views of
ourselves and our country.

McCain campaign
LA - Pasadena_1109 E. Green Street_Pasadena, CA 91106_(626) 793-2018_M-
F 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
LA - Westside_3280 Motor Avenue, Suite 225_Los Angeles, CA 90034_(310)
651-0474_M-Sat 9-9
http://california.johnmccain.com

Obama campaign
Get Out the Vote Door Hanging (Canvass)
Help us hang door hangers in Pasadena, Altadena and surrounding areas
for Barack Obama. We need 80 people to help us at 9 AM! Location is
United Democratic Headquarters 414 S. Lake Avenue next to Pier One
Imports. We will pair you up with someone and send you out into
friendly territory. You just place an Obama for President door hanger
on the doors of voters. Fun and easy. We will have pizza, sandwiches
and food after the walk.
Time: Saturday, November 1 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Host: William Hacket
Contacts: 626 449 2008
http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simple
http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_results?orderby=day&zip_radius%5b0%5d=90027&zip_radius%5b1%5d=15&radius_unit=miles&country=US
Location: United Democratic Headquarters (Pasadena, CA)
414 S. Lake Avnue
Pasadena, CA 91101
Directions: South on Lake Avenue from the 210 Freeway.
Next to Pier One and Ross. Lots of parking in back of building.

This event is hosted by a non-governmental organization. Their effort,
therefore is a private effort and can be an example for those studying
Murphy’s chapter 3 and lobbying. The organization is a non-profit
organization instead of a business, so it should contrast to the for-
profit privatization Murphy mostly discusses, but non-profits can also
be corrupt or even phony. This particular organization, Doctors
Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), has strong
international support for their emergency medical work around the
world.

“A REFUGEE CAMP IN THE HEART OF THE CITY”
Doctors Without Borders Announces 2008 California Tour This Fall
The international medical humanitarian organization Doctors Without
Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) will tour California this fall
with A REFUGEE CAMP IN THE HEART OF THE CITY, an 8,000 square-foot
interactive outdoor exhibit. This exhibit asks visitors to imagine
they are among the estimated 42 million people worldwide who have been
forced to flee their homes and seek refuge from war or conflict in
places such as Sudan, Colombia, and Iraq.

Guided by MSF aid workers, visitors are asked to imagine that they are
among the millions of people fleeing violence and persecution in, for
example, Somalia, Colombia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, or
Sudan.
The exhibit is made up of materials used by MSF in its emergency
medical work around the world, including emergency refugee housing, a
food distribution tent, water pump, health clinic, vaccination tent,
therapeutic feeding center, and a cholera treatment center. It
addresses questions such as: • Will I be safe? • What will I eat? •
How do I find water? • Can I get medical care? • Where will I live?
This event is free and open to the public._Please allow 40-60 minutes
for the tour.
Reservations are recommended for groups of 15 or more. To schedule a
group, please call Rachel Belt at (212) 763-5707
There are two locations for this exhibit this week. The exhibit is at
Griffith Park until Monday, 10/27, then it moves to Santa Monica for
the weekend:
Griffith Park
Crystal Springs Picnic Area at Griffith Park October 22 – 27 9:00am -
5:30 pm
Santa Monica
Parking Lot 1 North, Santa Monica Pier (Parking lot just north of the
Pier) October 31 – November 2, 9:00am - 5:30 pm
Art and culture also show much about who we think we are and what we
want our country to be. This date was selected as the field trip date
for several reasons, but one of the reasons was its being Dia de los
Muertos. Everyone who’s grown up in Los Angeles know enough about this
event to use as a comparative model for what Murphy’s trying to mean
by the inside the beltway mindset. How do Southern California and Dia
de los Muertos together represent a vehicle for a metaphor on who we
are in this part of the world. If you like, include your ideas on what
you know of some of the many other autumn celebrations of harvest,
ancestors, the onset of winter, thanks for another year, let’s hope we
survive the winter, etc., that depending upon the weather of origin or
cycles of the moon, begin in late summer and run into winter. Then,
after remembering all that, both the historical/cultural and the
personal/emotional, replace all those vehicles from this part of the
world with the White House, those monuments and museums on the Mall,
the Capitol, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, the Pentagon,
and Arlington National Cemetery. Still hard to imagine? Try using
these ideas on our Southern California view of self for chapter 4,
view of others. How would our Southern California view of ourselves be
considered by an inside-the beltway mindset?

The Olvera Street Merchants Dia de los Muertos
Nine nights of processions through the Olvera Street Mexican market at
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic site followed by free pan de muerto
(sweet bread) and champurrado(a Mexican hot beverage).
When: Processions Oct 25 -, Nov 2, 2008, 7 - 9pm; Fiesta Nov 1-2, 10
am - 9 pm
Where: The Gazebo on Olvera Street, El Pueblo Historical Monument, 125
Paseo de la Plaza
Info: (213) 625-7074, www.olvera-street.com
Metro: Union Station

The Brewery ArtWalk
The Brewery ArtWalk is a twice annual open studio weekend at the
worlds largest art colony. Each ArtWalk, over 100 resident artists
participate. During this event, you will have the opportunity to see
new works, discover new favorites, speak with the artists and purchase
artworks directly from the artists at studio prices. Admission is free
and so is parking. Come support LA’s finest artists, take home some
great works and and dine at the on-site restaurant.
When: The Brewery ArtWalk takes place: November 1st and 2nd, from
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Where: Brewery Art Association, 2100 North Main Street, Los Angeles,
CA 90031
Info: http://www.breweryartwalk.com/generalinfo.html
Festival de la Gente
LA's biggest Day of the Dead street fair with giant paper mache
puppets. Live music, art displays, children's activities.
When: Saturday and Sunday, Nov 1-2, 2008, 1-9 pm
Where: Barker Block, 519 S Hewitt St., LA 90013
Cost: Free
Info: www.festivaldelagente.org

Dia de Los Muertos at Self Help Graphics
One of the city's longest running and most authentic celebration of
the Day of the Dead, this East Los Angeles community arts celebration
includes a procession, crafts, traditional food an entertainment. A
blessing of the altars takes place the week before and mask-making
workshops are held for several weeks before the event.
When: Procession and festival Nov 2, 2008, 12:30 pm - 11 pm;
Procession Decorating 12:30 - 3:30, procession 4 pm
Where: Participants are asked to meet at Cinco Puntos (Cesar Chavez &
Lorena) by 4:00PM. The procession will proceed to Self Help Graphics &
Art, 3802 Cesar E. Chavez Avenue at Gage.
Cost: Free (donations welcome)
Info: www.selfhelpgraphics.com, (323) 881-6444

Joy.c

Oct 29, 2008, 10:39:16 AM10/29/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
Just a heads up I only missed last week because I was in Reno for
work. I work in a music agency and two bands were playing there that
I had to work the show at.
I wont be missing any more but that was only one absence and making
sure I wasn't dropped or anything... (I'm paranoid.... I blame the
government haha)

Also can you let me know what my essay 1 bonus part grade was? I'm
dying to know.

Thanks!
Joy Collingbourne
> 651-0474_M-Sat 9-9http://california.johnmccain.com
>
> Obama campaign
> Get Out the Vote Door Hanging (Canvass)
> Help us hang door hangers in Pasadena, Altadena and surrounding areas
> for Barack Obama. We need 80 people to help us at 9 AM! Location is
> United Democratic Headquarters 414 S. Lake Avenue next to Pier One
> Imports. We will pair you up with someone and send you out into
> friendly territory. You just place an Obama for President door hanger
> on the doors of voters. Fun and easy. We will have pizza, sandwiches
> and food after the walk.
> Time: Saturday, November 1 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
> Host: William Hacket
> Contacts: 626 449 2008http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simplehttp://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_results?orderby=day&zip_r...

Joy.c

Nov 3, 2008, 8:42:07 PM11/3/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
Dia de Los Muertos

What I liked about this festivity is it is very accessible for public
transportation and i much preferred this to campaigning for McCain who
i sincerely hope does not win, and the Obama Campaign... I've done a
lot for No on Prop 8 and I can't vote so Dia De Los Muertos was a
treat away from politics for me. Plus I like the idea of a day for
the dead. Gives more meaning than regular Halloween.
What I also liked about this was it is a FULL family get together that
to me has a lot more meaning than just trick or treating. The face
masks and the crafting was a good community and family feel to it.
There just seems to be a lot of community togetherness and feel that I
like.
I would like to learn more about this whole day. I made my friend
Lina go with me as she loves the Dia De Los Muertos celebrations and
will now be googling and asking her more about it.
> 651-0474_M-Sat 9-9http://california.johnmccain.com
>
> Obama campaign
> Get Out the Vote Door Hanging (Canvass)
> Help us hang door hangers in Pasadena, Altadena and surrounding areas
> for Barack Obama. We need 80 people to help us at 9 AM! Location is
> United Democratic Headquarters 414 S. Lake Avenue next to Pier One
> Imports. We will pair you up with someone and send you out into
> friendly territory. You just place an Obama for President door hanger
> on the doors of voters. Fun and easy. We will have pizza, sandwiches
> and food after the walk.
> Time: Saturday, November 1 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
> Host: William Hacket
> Contacts: 626 449 2008http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simplehttp://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_results?orderby=day&zip_r...
> Where: Participants are asked to ...
>
> read more »

Nov 7, 2008, 10:00:36 PM11/7/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell

Gary K.
More options Nov 3, 8:34 pm
Ahhh!!! This event was incredible. What most intrigued me about this
exhibition was the variety of styles and genres of art displayed.
Some
were very complex and made me wonder if the artist had been in a
hallucinogenic state to have created something so profoundly obscure.
There were other pieces that were so simple but unique that it made
me
appreciate the fact that the depth of art isn't always about
complexity, but perspective.
What made me a little perturbed is the fact that some of the artist
seemed to be still searching for their signature niche. These seemed
to be all over the place in there selection of exhibited works. There
was no theme, and no point of reference in style. The curator should
have excluded these artist who are still in development.
I have to say that if I were an artist I would not want to live
amongst other artist in a colony. I can't understand why an artist
wouldn't want to have a space that was completely free of the
enfluence of other artistic beings, therefore causing an even deeper
flow of creative energy exclusively from his own experience and
individual creative insight from the universe.
GK

Nov 7, 2008, 10:01:39 PM11/7/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell

ljcasillas
More options Nov 5, 10:29 pm
One thing I liked was the variety of cultures gathered in Plazita
Olvera. One thing I did not like was that the performers did not
follow the schedule set out. I missed a few. One thing I did not
understand were some customs and performances done there which had
nothing to do with day of the dead.

Nov 7, 2008, 10:02:57 PM11/7/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
Leilani Cajulis
English 101 class#0459 w/ O’Connell
Field trip report for 11/01/2008
Doctors without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres – U.S. section)
I went early to the exhibit for a lot of reasons: First, I didn’t
want to be with a large group of people; Second, I didn’t want too
much sun exposure; and last, I needed to go to work after the event.
There were about fifty persons ahead of me and so, my first reason
has
failed. The exhibit was set up at the picnic area with an elegant
backdrop of Hollywood Hills and I found that so ironic because the
exhibit was a presentation of life in a refugee camp or in an IDP
(internally displaced persons) camp on the borders. Did I like the
exhibit? Yes, in a way that it made me stop and think about my
endless complaints of life’s stress considering on how these people
displaced by war go through life each day. As the guide was showing
us each presentation and giving us as overview of how this non-
government organization runs each camp worldwide, I was visualizing
myself as one of them and wondering if I could ever survive the
ordeal. I have never witnessed any war in my life nor have I ever
been displaced from my home. It is almost unbelievable that about 15
or more persons would use one tent as sleeping shelter, improvise any
material such as rubber tires to make sandals, tins and metals to
make
cookware, or scraps to make toys. Food is a ration of grains and
sugar; one pack for each person about 1500 cal. each day. There is
also a ready-to-use powder pack on emergency situation that is mixed
with water and forms a paste. It dries up quickly and becomes a dry,
sweet, crumby biscuit. Water source is dug deep into the ground
because it is far and dangerous to let anyone leave the camp; there
are landmines and enemies ready to kill anyone outside the camp. The
water is collected by a pump to a large inflatable plastic tank added
with treatment solution to kill bacteria and parasites and is piped
into multiple faucets for rationing. Each person gets a daily ration
of 5 gallons for drinking, washing, and cooking. They line up by the
hundreds per faucet to get their daily rationing. Common toilets are
built with an exhaust at the back portion. A very deep hole is dug
and a plastic tile is placed over this hole with a cover. Whoever
needs to use it has to step on this tile, uncover the hole, and squat
on top of it. There is no toilet paper to use; the left hand is used
for cleaning up with a small amount of water. However, there is a
big
container of water with a faucet next to the toilet to wash the hand
after use. There are a few more tents as centers for psychological
well-being of the refugees, vaccinations, nutrition and health
maintenance, and a secluded tent for the sick like cholera, malaria,
etc.
One thing I didn’t like with the exhibit was the structures were
modified like the toilet sample was made of machine-cut wood from
home
depot which was very different from the pictures taken at different
camp sites.
One thing that I has left me wondering was how the volunteers live at
the camp. There are doctors, nurses, logisticians, and other
professionals that live with this refugees but the only information
that I got were the qualifications to become a volunteer, the salary,
health screen preparation and the expected length of service. I
still
want to know if they have special quarters, different food supplies
and utilities with that from the refugees.

Nov 7, 2008, 10:04:49 PM11/7/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell

Yolanda Duke
Sec-0459-Sat.
November 4, 2008
Dia de los muertos (Day of the Dead) 11-1-2008,
One thing I like was all the different colors used on all the
displays, very creative. I believe many of the displays were from
several different parts of Latin America. Although most of these set
ups seem to of been from different areas, they were somewhat similar.
One thing I did not like was the displays did not represent what part
of Latin America each was from, it would have been useful.
Olvera St. also had a skeleton show; I think it should have been a
bit more organized, so that people who do not speak Spanish could
understand.

Nov 7, 2008, 10:06:29 PM11/7/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell

Sonia E. and Angelica J.
More options Nov 4, 8:57 pm
Sonia Echeverria
English 101
I wasn't sure what to expect when I drove to Pasadena on Saturday Nov
1. When in got to the designated place I saw that it was the
Democratic Headquarters for Barack Obama. This was a change for me,
had never done anything related to politics. The event was well
organized, the crowd was instructed what was they need it to do. I
liked the fact that people came together for what they believed and
wanted to achieve. They wanted to make sure that people voted on the
Nov 4th Election and to vote for their next president, they actually
were promoting for Obama to win. I really enjoyed working with the
people I did. I met 4 nice ladies, one had traveled from Australia
be in Los Angeles to support Barack Obama. I don't have anything
that
I didn't like, the experience was well worth it. I would like to
learn more about the special events being held at the Democratic
Headquarters.

MG

Nov 8, 2008, 12:35:30 AM11/8/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
Marsella Gonzalez
English 101
#0459 O’Connell
Field trip report for 11/01/2008

The Brewery Artwalk

What I enjoyed most about attending the Brewery Artwalk was the
opportunity to talk to the artist as I looked at their work. There
was many talented artist present and was able to find their interest
to their art. I liked that there was artist of different arenas.
There was photographers, sculpters, and painting artist. All the work
was amazing.
I didn't enjoy the stuffy enviroment. Do to the amount of people
present the warehouse was a little warm and there wasn't a store to
buy drinks or snacks. The artwork was a little above my price range
and wish there was more affordable items. This was an opportunity for
artist to advertise themselves and yet when I tried to find additional
work for Patricia Luca I could not locate any information on the
internet. I really liked her paintings, but she didnt have cards or
information where to reach her near her work. The only person present
at this show room seemed busy with other guest and I didn't want to
interupt.

Deborah M

Nov 8, 2008, 1:29:03 PM11/8/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
The Olvera Street Merchants Dia de los Muertos

I liked the idea of a field trip away from class and the various
options. It was a nice change and gave me the opportunity to attend
an event I had previously never attended so I selected The Olvera
Street Merchants Dia de los Muertos festival. I enjoyed the colorful
festivities and the folkloric dances in the gazebo. I did not care to
visit the many merchant stands that are normally present at Olvera
Street although I believe sales are definitely better during these
festivals. It was interesting to see the various altars dedicated to
the Day of the Dead but do not understand this tradition nor its
origins.
Message has been deleted

Nov 15, 2008, 12:24:47 AM11/15/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
axel .d
More options Nov 8, 7:00 am
Last Saturday I went to the Republican headquarters at Green
St. in
down town Pasadena, and for the first time in my life I got involved
in a political activity. I got there at about 9:50 AM, and after
introducing myself to one of the coordinators I volunteered to help.
spend an hour highlighting the name and address of all registered
republicans from the Index sheets that I was handed by the
coordinators, and after that I attended a class given to all those
volunteers who were going to be at the voting places. These
volunteers were going to be checking the list of registered
Republicans who had not voted yet at the time of voting, and they
were
supposed to call such people and encourage them to vote. When the
class was over I went to talk to some of the volunteers and I asked
them what was their opinion regarding the current outsourcing of
security by the military, I specifically mentioned the Blackwater
case. Two of the people didn’t want to comment about it claiming that
they didn’t know much about such case, four people were against
contracting private agencies to do military work, three more were in
favor and on person was very skeptical about it. I believe this was
good experience for me after been able to hear different opinions and
been able to participate in a political activity.
I like everything about this activity. I would like to know more
about the Republican Party and its ideology and compare it to the
Democratic ideology.

Minor T

Nov 15, 2008, 2:42:16 PM11/15/08
to LACC English courses w/O'Connell
The Olvera Street Merchants Dia de los Muertos

one thing i liked about this event was that it was somewhere were i
used to go when i lived near there but since i moved away i haven't,
and even though i have been in the area before I've never seen
something that was so diverged into one culture.i do have to say
however that there too many repetitive "attractions", i guess that's
what you would call it, and it seemed to that there were not that many
different aspects to the event, but i am interested in finding out a
bit more about the traditions that were presented because although i
am hispanic my parents were not taught those ideas and therefore i
never learned them.