How to compile labyrinth-0.5RC3 with gnome 3 desktop?

RSA

Aug 10, 2012, 11:52:32 PM8/10/12
to labyrin...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

To compile labyrinth-0.5RC3 gnome-desktop2 is required. Can we not compile with Gnome 3?

Anand

Thomas Kluyver

Aug 11, 2012, 7:00:00 AM8/11/12
to labyrin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand,

On 11 August 2012 04:52, RSA <rsam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To compile labyrinth-0.5RC3 gnome-desktop2 is required. Can we not compile
> with Gnome 3?

I don't think that should have been required at all - libgnome-desktop
is a library to read .desktop files, which labyrinth shouldn't need to
do. I've checked that it runs fine without it, and removed the check
for it [1].

More generally, I think PKG_CHECK_MODULES isn't quite the right tool,
because it forces a build-dependency on -dev versions of packages,
which are irrelevant to pure Python code. This is something else that
we'll look at after 0.5 has been released.

Thanks,
Thomas

[1] https://code.google.com/p/labyrinth/source/detail?r=377

Ananda Murthy R S

Aug 11, 2012, 10:19:42 PM8/11/12
to labyrin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Even after removing the lines as shown in r378, configure is reporting error:

configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0            >= 2.8
        pygtk-2.0           >= 2.8
        pygobject-2.0       >= 2.10
        gnome-python-2.0    >= 2.12
        gnome-desktop-2.0   >= 2.14
        pycairo             >= 1.0
) were not met:

No package 'gnome-desktop-2.0' found

After making changes in configure.ac I executed ./configure --prefix=/usr. Is this correct?

Anand

Close Windows ! Open source !!
Free software from proprietary mafia !!!

Thomas Kluyver

Aug 12, 2012, 6:19:31 AM8/12/12

On 12 August 2012 03:19, Ananda Murthy R S <rsam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After making changes in configure.ac I executed ./configure --prefix=/usr.
> Is this correct?

No, you have to first re-run autogen.sh, which isn't in the
distribution tarball. For now, you'll need to check out the
development version from svn. See the instructions at
http://code.google.com/p/labyrinth/source/checkout

Also note that I later decided I should only have removed the
gnome-desktop line, so I put gnome-python back there. For now, that
does leave a dependency on Gnome 2 libraries. That's another thing we
aim to improve after 0.5 is out.

Thanks,
Thomas