Unable to launch BLACS due to timeout error from connect_to_zlock_server()

Josiah Sinclair

Apr 12, 2022, 2:49:55 PM4/12/22
to the labscript suite
Hi everyone,

When I try and launch BLACS I receive the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\blacs\__main__.py", line 55, in <module>
    import labscript_utils.h5_lock, h5py
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\labscript_utils\h5_lock.py", line 93, in <module>
    connect_to_zlock_server()
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\labscript_utils\ls_zprocess.py", line 334, in connect_to_zlock_server
    client.ping()
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\zprocess\zlock\__init__.py", line 105, in ping
    self._new_socket(timeout)
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\zprocess\zlock\__init__.py", line 85, in _new_socket
    'tcp://%s:%s' % (self.host, str(self.port)), timeout
  File "c:\users\rubidium\software\anaconda3\envs\labscript\lib\site-packages\zprocess\security.py", line 251, in connect
    raise TimeoutError('Could not connect to server: timed out')
zprocess.utils.TimeoutError: Could not connect to server: timed out

This is on a computer which Labscript has been installed on for a few years, and nothing has changed on the computer, so I don't know why I am getting this error suddenly.

Cheers,
Josiah
Screenshot 2022-04-12 140146.png

dihm....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2022, 3:38:18 PM4/14/22
to the labscript suite
Hi Josiah,

I know this is dumb, but have you tried restarting the server? The zprocess servers persist between uses of labscript and can get in a bad way if something changes from underneath them (updated packages and the like). Rebooting the computer will do it. You can also kill the process running them and they will restart when opening up a labscript component.

The other dumb thing to check is to make sure someone has tinkered with the labconfig settings (accidentally or on purpose) and the secret key file is correct and located in the right place.

-David