Writing PXI6254 Class to Labscript

Zhang Shukun

Jan 19, 2024, 12:52:06 AMJan 19
to the labscript suite
I am a beginner to the Labscript and my device uses a NI PXI 6254 card, which is not provided in labscript_device library. I wonder how to write a PXI 6254 class by myself. Right now I am just copying the 6251 class and change the configurations, but I wonder there are some potential risks and damage my hardware. Have anyone written their own PXI device class before? Is there any resource to consult?

Thanks lot!

Tomáš Lamich

Jan 19, 2024, 4:04:35 AMJan 19
to labscri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhang,

Have you tried using the get_capabilities.py and genereta_subclasses.py scripts that serve to identify and create the NI DAQ devices not supported by Labscript by default? You can find more information about the details here: NI DAQs — labscript suite | labscript-devices.
I used it to generate subclasses for PCIe devices, but not for PXI devices, however I don't think that should make a difference as long as the device is connected to your PC.

We've been using similar approach before we upgraded to the latest version of labscript (copying similar device and changing the parameters by hand) for a long time and found no problems caused to the hardware through labscript. However we managed to get a bit limited by this approach, because we didn't put in the inputs of the card...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tomas Lamich