Clock Creativity

Micah

Jun 28, 2024, 4:58:27 PM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to the labscript suite
Hi Labscript,
My group and I have been using Labscript relatively error free however we have been trying to speed up the processes on our lab's program to increase the resolution of our experiments and therefore have been frequently running into clock errors within Labscript. We believe the best solution involves speeding up our system clock however with the state of Labscript we are limited to the devices designed for this system. Would there be any way to make a custom clock device in Labscript that would allow us more range between our clock values? Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Much Appreciated,
Micah

dihm....@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2024, 9:59:10 AM (4 days ago) Jul 1
to the labscript suite
Micah,

Probably need a little more detail to know for sure, but I can recommend a few things assuming you are using standard Pulseblasters for the pseudoclock.

First stop is to check out the PrawnBlaster and PrawnDO. We just put a paper on the arXiv describing them. Because the prawnblaster implements truly independent pseudoclocks, it's much easier to hit the fundamental timing resolution (10ns with 50ns minimum pulse width).

If you need even better, I would recommend this device, which has timing resolution at 1ns and has labscript drivers written for it (though not in the mainline repo, we should probably fix that...)

If you need something more bespoke, you'll need to provide a bit more detail.

-David