Problems encountered while setting up a mako camera

Sungjae Won

Feb 6, 2024, 6:24:51 AMFeb 6
to the labscript suite
 Hello everyone. My name is Sung Jae Won, and I am an undergraduate student working in a newly started ultra cold quantum gas lab.

 So far, I have been configuring experimental equipment using labscript-suite. We are currently at the stage of successfully controlling the equipment of prawnblaster, NI-6535 &  6738, and novatech dds 409b. I am currently trying to use allied vision mako g-30b through labscript-suite.

 Using the codes from (https://github.com/fretchen/synqs_devices?tab=readme-ov-file, thank them), I created a tab for the mako camera and succeeded in obtaining images with snap function. This is the situation in the image below.1.PNG
 But after that, I faced many problems. First,  flowing errors occurs when I press the Attributes and Continuous functions.
Attributes.PNG
Continuous.PNG
 The second error is that when I press the function to restart the tab, the following error occurs more than once. To restart a tab successfully, I must always press the refresh function at least twice.
refresh.PNG
 Lastly, an error occurs when I try to run the camera with a script written through runmanager. As soon as the attempt starts, it immediately stops and the error shown in the image below occurs. This error is a duplicate of the errors above.
queue.PNG
 I tried changing all released versions of pymba, but these errors were not resolved.

 I have attached the connection table and experiment.py in my situation. Thanks to everyone, our lab was able to integrate devices, and furthermore, we need your help to run the camera successfully. Any help or comments etc would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Won.
connection_table_mako.py
example_experiment_mako.py

Nelson Werum

Jun 4, 2024, 5:46:30 AMJun 4
to the labscript suite
Hey Sung Jae Won,

my name is Nelson Werum and I am also an undergraduate student working in an ultra cold quantum gas lab. Currently, I am also trying to install a Mako camera in our experiment and I run into the same issues as you did. I kindly wanted to ask if you have any updates on that or figured out a solution or workaround for the issues that you described. I highly appreciate any help and hints.
Thank you for your time and I wish you best of luck for your future work!

Best regards,
Nelson

Sungjae Won

Jun 23, 2024, 11:11:43 PM (11 days ago) Jun 23
to the labscript suite
Hi Nelson,

Sadly, we couldn't solve the problem of using Mako Camera through Run Manager.
Besides the camera, we had so many things to deal with that we could hardly get any work done.
However, we will not stop trying, and we will update if the problem is resolved or progress is made.

Cheers,
Won
2024년 6월 4일 화요일 오후 6시 46분 30초 UTC+9에 werum....@gmail.com님이 작성:

Rohit Prasad Bhatt

Jun 25, 2024, 4:34:07 AM (10 days ago) Jun 25
to 'Philip Starkey' via The labscript suite
Hi Nelson and Sung Jae Won,

I am sorry that my code for the Mako camera does not work well for you. I wrote the code 5 years ago during my PhD days. So my memory now, of the problems I faced when trying to integrate it, is a bit weak. I think I also ran into this problem but I do not remember in which circumstances. We could have a private email discussion if you want.

I would also suggest a work around in case your work is stuck. You can use the function runner device in labscript to use any camera from any vendor. As long as you have a software (in this case the official Vimba viewer from Allied vision) that allows you to configure the camera such that when it receives a TTL signal it takes images and saves them to a given directory. Then you can use function runner at the end of the shot to pack these images from that directory into the HDF file of the current shot.

Of course it would be best to resolve the BLACS issue but you can use this method to at-least get your experimental scripts running.

Regards,
Rohit Prasad Bhatt

Lufter Reis

Jul 3, 2024, 4:37:11 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to the labscript suite
Hi,
I have a quick fix for the continuous mode to the current Mako code:
1. Go to black_workers.py of the Mako folder
2. Replace the "configure_acquosition()" to the following
def configure_acquisition(self, continuous=True, buffer_count=7):
"""Configure camera for live and triggered mode."""
mako_attributes = {
"AcquisitionMode": "Continuous",
"ExposureMode": "Timed",
"ExposureTimeAbs": 3000,
"TriggerActivation": "RisingEdge",
"TriggerMode": "Off",
"TriggerSelector": "FrameStart",
"TriggerSource": "Freerun",
}
self.set_attributes(mako_attributes)
if continuous:
self.camera.AcquisitionMode = "Continuous"
one = True
self.frames = [
self.camera.new_frame() for _ in range(buffer_count)
] # Make a frame buffer.

# For each buffered frame, we announce onece
for self.frame in self.frames:
# Announce this frame that maybe queued
self.frame.announce() # Error being thrown here for the 2nd image
# Start capture
self.camera.start_capture()

for self.frame in self.frames:
self.frame.queue_for_capture()

# Begin camera acquisition
self.camera.AcquisitionStart()
# If not live streaming, wait for a trigger
else:
self.camera.TriggerMode = "On"
self.camera.TriggerSource = "Line1"
self.camera.AcquisitionMode = "MultiFrame"
self.camera.ExposureMode = "TriggerWidth"

This part of the code is actually an adaption from the examples provided by the pymba package. So if one dig into the source file, and go to "pymba/pymba /camera.py", you will see the arm method. Which is essentially what we are doing here.

I hope this solve part of the problem.
Rohit Prasad Bhatt 在 2024年6月25日 星期二凌晨4:34:07 [UTC-4] 的信中寫道: