Flea3 connection failure in Blacs --> OSError: exception: access violation reading 0x0000000000000000

Emine Altuntas

Mar 3, 2023, 11:46:45 AM3/3/23
to the labscript suite
Hello,

After restarting our imaging PC - to which all CCDs are connected - and installing mandatory Windows updates, Flea3s cannot be connected to on Blacs.

Our institution has mandatory PC restarts and upgrades, but this is the first time such a failure occurred.

The issue seems to be specific to IMAQdxCamera worker.

I have an Andor EMCCD in my lab and Blacs connection to Andor works perfectly fine (I acquire multiple back-to-back images in the manual mode).

Also all Flea3s are accessible via the NImax interface.

Below is the complete error message:

Finding camera...

2023-03-03 10:25:58,308 ERROR BLACS.MOT_camera_main_worker.worker: Exception in job:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "c:\users\rubidium\labscript-suite\labscript-devices\labscript_devices\IMAQdxCamera\blacs_workers.py", line 251, in init

self.camera = self.get_camera()

File "c:\users\rubidium\labscript-suite\labscript-devices\labscript_devices\IMAQdxCamera\blacs_workers.py", line 280, in get_camera

return self.interface_class(self.serial_number)

File "c:\users\rubidium\labscript-suite\labscript-devices\labscript_devices\IMAQdxCamera\blacs_workers.py", line 128, in __init__

for cam in nv.IMAQdxEnumerateCameras(True):

File "C:\Users\rubidium\Anaconda3\envs\py39\lib\site-packages\nivision\core.py", line 5992, in IMAQdxEnumerateCameras

_IMAQdxEnumerateCameras(None, ctypes.byref(count), connectedOnly)

OSError: exception: access violation reading 0x00000000000000D0

Has anyone encountered similar error message previously? Currently all our labs are plagued with this same failure mode.

Best,
Emine

William McGehee

Mar 10, 2023, 1:44:04 PM3/10/23
to the labscript suite
Hi LabScript Community,

This error was induced by anti-virus software limiting access to the Anaconda directory in some manner that I do not understand. Asking the anti-virus to no longer interfere with the Anaconda folder resolves the issue.

I imagine this kind of error would be terribly difficult to debug for someone setting up a new installation.

Best,

William