can't connect to oracle database ORA-12737 error

Jarno

Dec 14, 2009, 11:29:29 AM12/14/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
Dear lab 128 support.

i have a few database what i want to monitor.
but at one database i get a error when i try to connect tot the
database with lab128
i tested the connection to the TOAD tool en that works fine.

The error i got form lab128 is the following:
12/07 17:16:32 - ORA-12737: Instant Client Light: unsupported server
character set WE8ISO8859P15
This is on a windows 2003 server

With my normal workstation with windows XP, i don't have that issue.
Anny idea where the problem is ?

Sergei - Lab128

Dec 14, 2009, 3:20:41 PM12/14/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
Hi Jarno,

The Instant Client doesn't support WE8ISO8859P15, so it gives that
error. From Oracle documentation:

Instant Client Light (English) supports the following character sets:
* Single-byte character sets include US7ASCII, WE8DEC, WE8MSWIN1252,
and WE8ISO8859P1.
* Unicode character sets include UTF8, AL16UTF16, and AL32UTF8.

Can you try to set NLS_LANG environment variable before starting
Lab128:

set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
lab128

If that works, you can make a .cmd or .bat file which can automate
that.

The only difference betweeen WE8ISO8859P1 and WE8ISO8859P15 is the
Euro sign and some French and Finnish letters. Since Lab128 don't use
them, it should be OK. I will research if there is a way for Lab128
set that automatically in future versions.

I heard about same problem from the user in Korea, he was using Korean
character set. I gave him same advise but I didn't hear from him since
then.

Regards,
Sergei

Hidden Men

Dec 15, 2009, 4:22:23 AM12/15/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
Hi Sergei,

i don't understand it or it won't work.
i put the variable into the environment of the monitoring server see
the set commando:

C:\>set
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=SVR-0469
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=D:\instantclient_11_1;D:\Oracle\Ora81\bin\;C:\Program Files\Oracle
\jre\1.1.
7\bin\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:
\WINDOWS\system
32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.PSC1
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0401
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\BEHEER~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\BEHEER~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1
windir=C:\WINDOWS

but i got the same error.

i have installed the oracle client instantclient-basic-
win32-11.1.0.7.0.zip from the oracle website.
It is just extract en then its don, there is no installer whit it.
And i have put the 2 dll file from the lab128 website in de lab 128
directory.

Sergei - Lab128

Dec 15, 2009, 12:04:06 PM12/15/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
I am doing more research on this. Probably installing full-blown
oracle client should fix it, but I don't like this way of doing
things. Too fat soft and potentially making mess in the registry.
Copying just two DLL files worked well for many folks, so I want to
find all available options.

Meanwhile, if someone has already solved ORA-12734 - ORA-12737, please
tell us.

Sergei - Lab128

Dec 15, 2009, 11:25:28 PM12/15/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
Here is what I found. There are 3 types of Oracle client (for 10g and
11g): Full, Instant Basic, and Instant Light. It seems that first two
support all character sets, Instant Light supports only:

* Single-byte character sets include US7ASCII, WE8DEC, WE8MSWIN1252,
and WE8ISO8859P1.
* Unicode character sets include UTF8, AL16UTF16, and AL32UTF8.

So, for WE8ISO8859P15 character set, Instant Basic client is needed.

Lab128 still needs only two DLL files: oci.dll and oraociei10.dll
(10g); or oci.dll and oraociei11.dll (11g). These two files can be
extracted from the Instant "Client Package - Basic" zip files
downloaded from Oracle site:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html

Currently, there are 5 versions (10.1.0.5, 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4,
11.1.0.6.0, 11.1.0.7.0). From Lab128 perspective, there is no
preference, but it can make sense to get the latest one. Client 11g
supports Oracle servers from 9i up to 11g. Client 10g supports servers
from 8.1.7 up to 11g.

Please let me know if that is going to work.

Hidden Men

Dec 17, 2009, 6:28:41 AM12/17/09
to Lab128 - Tools for advanced Oracle tuning
Hi Sergei i fixed the problem :-)

i had already installed the basic oracle version instantclient-basic-
win32-11.1.0.7.0.zip
and put the oracle installation into the windows environment file.

but i had also put the two dll files into the lab128 directory, from
the previous problem.
when i removed the 2 dll files from the lab128 directory then lab128
lookt at the oracle client (basic), en it works like a charm.

so the option tot put the 2 dll files into the lab128 directory may
work for some databases, but not for all character sets !
It is in my opinion, better to install the basis oracle client, en put
it in the windows environment file.

hyung...@lnsit.co.kr

May 6, 2015, 10:24:38 PM5/6/15
to lab...@googlegroups.com, 2eli...@detailresult.nl
Hi Hidden Men

Thanks for your Reply.
I'm using Korean. I also had same problem.
I fixed the problem.

I also remove two dll files in Lab folder and download instantclient-basic.

Thans for your replyed.

2009년 12월 17일 목요일 오후 8시 28분 41초 UTC+9, Hidden Men 님의 말: