registering new interactives without recompiling

Peter Malcolm

Aug 17, 2015, 7:17:54 AM8/17/15
to lab-models
I have created a new interactive locally (in the samples/ directory) but I am finding that the new interactive does not appear in the dropdown for example interactives until I "make everything" and "rackup" and refresh the browser on port 9292.  Is there a way to register a new interactive without a complete recompile?

Thanks!
-Peter

Daniel Damelin

Aug 17, 2015, 9:15:08 AM8/17/15
to lab-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

It doesn’t usually take that much effort to make a new interactive appear if you are using an existing grouping like “samples.” Have you tried running guard in the top directory while developing? It should update the build with every save.

I’ve occasionally run into the problem you have mentioned, but it usually seemed to be one of two issues: I was accidentally working in the public directory rather than src or that I had a browser caching issue, which was cleared up by starting a new incognito session.

Given that make everything … fixed your issue I’m guessing its a browser caching thing. Either way making a new interactive, which not uncommon is not that frequent. I assume that once you have the new interactive showing up the updates you make show up immediately?

-Dan

Daniel Damelin

Aug 17, 2015, 9:52:57 PM8/17/15
to lab-m...@googlegroups.com
One other thing to try that does not take nearly as long as “make everything” is “make clean; make”

-Dan

Peter Malcolm

Aug 18, 2015, 10:22:02 AM8/18/15
to lab-models
Hi Dan,
(apologies for double posting on this.)
Sounds good.  I'll experiment with guard and "make clean; make".  Thanks!

Peter Malcolm

Aug 28, 2015, 11:09:49 PM8/28/15
to lab-models
Ok, I've got a better workflow now.

Just:
$ make
then
$ rackup
does the trick, without recompiling everything.  The rsync from src/ to public/ is the crux of what I was after.

Dan Damelin

Aug 29, 2015, 9:08:43 AM8/29/15
to lab-m...@googlegroups.com
guard will call make automatically when you save.

Dan