Re: Next-Generation Molecular Workbench translation of Interactives

Daniel Damelin

Apr 22, 2015, 10:08:37 AM4/22/15
to Martin Slavík, lab-models
Hi Martin,

The translation happens in two places.The Lab codebase renders the view and has the modeling engines. The lab-interactives-site contains the authored interactives that are rendered by the Lab codebase.

To get started you should join the lab-models google group. That is the best place to ask questions while doing the localization.
I've cc'd that list, so folks there know what I have told you so far.

It would be best to start localizing the Lab framework and a sample interactive, by following these directions:

After you have localized the Lab framework then you can work on localizing the interactives:

For this step you will need to understand how to clone a repository, get it working on your local machine, and how to commit changes files. If you have never done this before, you may need some help.

Using an application rather than the command line will be helpful for doing git related processes. I use Sourcetree. Even so, it is helpful to understand how git works. You might check out: http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/ or https://help.github.com

It has a readme that describes how to get it running on your local machine.

After creating a new branch for your work, you will make changes to add the appropriate translated versions of files in the right place. Only the strings visible to users of the interactive need to be translated. Make sure there are no syntax errors by running the interactive on your local machine using your local files, then commit these changes into a branch of your repo and submit a pull request for us to be able to inspect the work and merge it with our production server.

It is best to ask questions on the lab-models list, because there are several developers familiar with Lab, and you will be more likely to get an answer quickly.

Thank you for your interest and efforts,
-Dan

On Apr 22, 2015, at 2:53 AM, Martin Slavík <martin...@tul.cz> wrote:

Hi Dan,

I prefer using new MW, because thesis should test use of simulation in grammar school chemistry especially in mobile devices, which are very common. It depends on number of interactives available for new MW also.
We start next school year so I´ll wait for improved activity authoring system.

We want to translate interactives into Czech and test if there is a difference between teaching with English and Czech versions.
We translated a lot of software. If activity authoring system can be used for translating we use it.
Can you send me address of GIT repository (https://github.com/jliudong/Molecular-Workbench!?)? I cannot find any language file.

thanks

Dne 21. 4. 2015 v 23:06 Daniel Damelin napsal(a):
Hi Martin,

We would love to have translations done of our interactives (or whatever subset is interesting to you). At the moment another user is making translations in to Brazilian Portuguese. It does take someone with some technical expertise to do the translation process, but it is not a super high bar, especially for someone familiar with github. (Although the person currently translating had no experience with git and has been successfully translating without a lot of help from us.)

As for the activity authoring system, we do have examples of people external to our organization using it. However, they are typically only a few and require some help from us, not because any programming is required, but because the system is a bit clunky and not designed well for general users. We are working on improving that over this summer, so it might be ready by the next school year.

Can you tell me more about supervising theses related to MW? What kinds of things are your students doing? That might help with suggesting which version of MW for them to use.

-Dan

On Apr 21, 2015, at 3:38 PM, Martin Slavík <martin...@tul.cz> wrote:

Hello developers,

I am really amazed by your Next-Generation Molecular Workbench. It is very cool and works well.
I am interested in translation of Interactives. Should I wait for new authoring system or is there other way for translation?
Is there any roadmap for your project, especially new authoring system? I supervise diploma thesis dealing with MW and I not sure which version to use.

thank you for your answer
--

Yours sincerely

Martin Slavík

Katedra chemie FP TUL

Fakulta přírodovědně-humanitní a pedagogická, Technická univerzita v Liberci

pošta: Studentská 2, Liberec 1, 461 17, Česká republika

tel.: +420 48 535 3579 | +420 723 714 425 | e-mail: martin...@tul.cz | www.kch.tul.cz

Department of Chemistry

Faculty of  Science, Humanities and Education, Technical University of Liberec

address: Studentská 2, 461 17 Liberec 1, Czech Republic

phone: +420 48 535 3579 | +420 723 714 425 | e-mail: martin...@tul.cz | www.kch.tul.cz

<martin_slavik.vcf>

--

S pozdravem