Letter to US Post Regarding Nowruz Stamp

HOJ...@aol.com

Apr 24, 2015, 10:35:30 AM4/24/15
to hoj...@aol.com

تقاضای چاپ تمبر بزرگداشت نوروز از اداره پست آمریکا

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We have submitted a request to the United States Postal Service for an annual Nowruz commemorative stamp. Supporting materials submitted with our request showing the importance of Nowruz, not only to Iranians but to people of many countries and its official recognition are attached here.

The U.S. Postal Service receives thousands such requests every year and 35 are selected and presented to the Postmaster General for final selection and approval. This process could take up to 3 years.

We are waiting to receive an acknowledgment receipt (of our request) from the Postal Service. Beyond that, due to the volume of requests, we don’t expect to hear any further updates soon.

We hope that our request is successful and we look forward to seeing Nowruz commemorative stamps in the United States.

Warm Regards,

Fredun Hojabri, former Professor at the Sharif University of Technology

Mohammad Jamshidi, Professor at the University of Texas

Mohamad Navab, Professor at the University of California, Los Angeles

A. J. Cave, Author and Publisher, San Francisco, California

ضمیمه نامه  ما به اداره پست آمریکا که نشان دهنده اهمیت نوروز - نه تنها برای ایرانیان بلکه برای مردم بسیاری از کشور ها - وبرسمیت شناختن رسمی آن از طرف مجامع جهانی را میتوانید در پیوست مشاهده کنید.

بادرود

فریدون هژبری

This is a private message, please let me know if you want your name be removed from this mailing list

Fredun Hojabri

4106 Caminito Terviso

San Diego, CA 92122

Phone: +1 858-336-5406

E-mail: Hoj...@aol.com

Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee

475 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Room 3300

Washington, DC 202603501

April 17, 2015

Dear Citizens’ Stamp Advisory Committee,

We kindly request an annual commemorative stamp to recognize the lovely spring festival of Nowruz in the United States.

Festival of Nowruz is an event that meets your criteria No. 6, to “reflect the nation’s diverse population... and showcase our nation’s inclusiveness.”

The ancient festival of Nowruz is celebrated by over 300 million people around the world on the vernal equinox to welcome the start of spring.

Nowruz is on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). On September 30, 2009, the United Nations (UN) General Assembly recognized March 21 as the International Day of Nowruz.

The first resolution “to recognize the cultural and historical significance of Nowruz and wish Iranian-Americans, the people of Iran, and all those who observe this holiday a prosperous new year and express appreciation for Iranian-Americans’ contributions to U.S. society” introduced in 2009 in the U.S. House of Representatives, was passed on March 15, 2010.  The US Senate passed a similar Nowruz Resolution on March 19, 2010.

Attached is a list of supporting materials that are included with our request for your kind consideration.

Warm Regards,

Fredun Hojabri, former Professor at Sharif University of Technology, San Diego, California

Mohammad Jamshidi, Professor at the University of Texas

Mohamad Navab, Professor at the University of California, Los Angeles

A. J. Cave, Author and Publisher, San Francisco, California

List of Attachments

UNESCO Lists of intangible cultural heritage and Register of best safeguarding practices 2

UNESCO Director-General’s Message for 2015  4

United Nations General Assembly Resolution  5

UN Secretary-General’s Message on the Day of Nowruz  7

UN Secretary-General’s Message for International Observance of Nowruz  8

Nowruz  9

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  9

Nowruz Messages of US Presidents  10

U.S. Senate Nowruz Resolution  14

The U.S. House of Representatives recognized Nowruz  15

Nowruz Celebrations in U.S. and around the World  18

Nowruz commemorative Stamp-Suppoting Materials.pdf